William Reaper and Linda SmithThis popular introduction to the history of religion and philosophy is arrangedthematically. It presents the major turning points in the history of humanthought and gives an overview of the main schools of thought that have informed3,000...
UnavailableOut of Print
You may also like
William Reaper and Linda SmithThis popular introduction to the history of religion and philosophy is arrangedthematically. It presents the major turning points in the history of humanthought and gives an overview of the main schools of thought that have informed3,000 years of human civilisation. 400 pages, from Lion.
This work is for those who want to be better informed about the major turning points in the history of human thought. Arranged thematically, the book looks at key questions, such as* how and what can we know; does God exist; why do we exist; anything goes; and what are the boundaries of reality?;A companion volume to A Brief History of Christian Spirituality and A Brief History of Christian Music, the book is a guide to over 40 of the world's major thinkers, including* Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Descartes, Kant, Locke, Marx, Nietzsche and Freud. Ideas and movements covered include* feminism, humanism, rationalism, New Age and the paranormal. There are new chapters on Wittgenstein, postmodernism and fundamentalism.;Arranged thematically, the book looks at key questions, such as how and what can we know? Does God exist? Why do we exist? What are the boundaries of reality?
Assuming no prior knowledge of the subject, this book offers an accessible introduction to the history of religion and philosophy. The book acts as a companion to A Brief History of Christain Spirituality and A Brief History of Christian Music.
The late William Raeper was a writer and teacher based in Oxford. Linda Edwards and William Raeper together wrote the highly successful textbook 'Luke: A Gospel for Today.'
Battalion Chief Don Smith has been employed with the Austin Fire Department for 28 years. He was assigned to the Emergency Prevention Division for 15 years, thereby attaining the position of Fire marshal for the City of Austin. Chief Smith has recently been elected to the Chief Safety Officer position for the Austin Fire Department. He attended the University of Texas and Austin Community College and holds a degree in Fire Protection Technology.
- Part 1 How And What Can I Know? - Ways Of Knowing: Knowledge And Reason -
- Theories Of Knowledge - Plato And Aristotle
- Knowledge And Revelations - Augustine. Part 2 Who Am I?: Aristotle And
- Descartes And The Mind/body Division (dualism)
- Brains And Bodies - What Price The Soul In Today's World? - Nagel. Part 3
- Does God Exist? - Philosophy Of Religion: The Existence Of God - Anselm
- Natural And Revealed Religion - Aquinas/the Five Ways
- The Argument From Religious Experience. Part 4 Rationalism And Empiricism
- - Reasoning Out Who We Are: Descartes
- Locke And Berkeley
- Hume. Part 5 Existentialism: Kierkegaard
- Heidegger And The Language Of Being
- Sartre And The Freedom Of Humankind. Part 6 Psychology - We Are All In The
- Mind: Feuerbach
- Jung. Part 7 Politics - Organizing How We Live: Plato's Republic
- Machiavelli, Rousseau (thomas Paine And Thomas More)
- Karl Marx. Part 8 Humanism - Man Is The Measure Of All Things: Erasmus And
- The Rise Of Humanism
- Beyond Good And Evil - Nietzsche, The Death Of God And The Christian
- Shaping Humanism In The Modern World - John Stuart Mill And Bertrand
- Russell. Part 9 The Person Of Christ - Why Does He Matter?: Jesus, The Son
- Of God - (christology Through The Ages)
- Jesus Of Nazareth, His Teaching On The Kingdom Of God
- Jesus - Revelation And Response. Part 10 The Bible - Ways Of
- Understanding: East And West - The Struggle For Understanding (origen And
- Luther And The Reformation
- Liberal And Conservative - Interpreting The Bible Today. Part 11 Science
- And Belief: Creation And Evolution - Darwin And Controversy
- The New Physics And The Meaning Of Modern Science
- Miracles And Faith In A Modern Scientific World (answer To Hume). Part 12
- Relativism - Anything Goes?: Kant And The Enlightenment
- James And The American Pragmatists
- Cultural Relativism And Pluralism. Part 13 The Paranormal - The Boundaries
- Of Reality: Christianity And The Paranormal
- The Devil And All His Works
- Evil, Suffering And Religion. Part 14 Feminism - Her Story And The
- Motherhood Of God: The Maleness Of Reason - A Feminist Viewpoint
- Patriarchy, Women And History
- God As Mother. Part 15 New Age Thinking - Renaissance Or Delusion:
- Shifting The Paradigm - The Advent Of Aquarius (modern Movements)
- Self Or Selfishness - Personal Energy And The New Age (the Me-cult)
- Tomorrow's World - How Far Have We Got? (technology, Morality, Relief -
- How Far Has Our Knowledge Really Progressed?).