A Doubter's Guide to Jesus: An Introduction to the Man From Nazareth For Believers and Skeptics
With characteristic clarity and insight, Australian scholar John Dickson offers a compelling introduction to Jesus as he is portrayed in the earliest historical sources. Dickson does not shy away from the diversity of the material, revealing Jesus in all his...
In Stock50+ available
You May Also Like
With characteristic clarity and insight, Australian scholar John Dickson offers a compelling introduction to Jesus as he is portrayed in the earliest historical sources. Dickson does not shy away from the diversity of the material, revealing Jesus in all his multi-layered complexity.
Tim Keller says it's "a unique resource ... it promises remarkably balanced, even-handed, fair-minded presentations of Christian beliefs about Jesus Christ - all deeply informed by the primary sources. I can't recommend this book enough."
A Doubter's Guide to Jesus is an introduction to the major portraits of Jesus found in the earliest historical sources. Portraits because our best information points not to a tidy, monolithic Jesus, but to a complex, multi-layered and, at times, contradictory figure. While some might be troubled by this, fearing that plurality equals incomprehensibility or unreliability, others take it as an invitation to do some rearranging for themselves, trying to make Jesus neater, more systematic and digestible.
After two millennia of spiritual devotion and more than two centuries of modern critical research, we still cannot fit Jesus into a box. He is destined to stretch our imaginations, confront our beliefs, and challenge our lifestyles for many years to come.
In A Doubter's Guide to Jesus readers will find themselves both disturbed and intrigued by the images of Jesus found in the first sources.
This Item Is In The Following Kit
- Catalogue Code 489253
- Product Code 9780310328612
- ISBN 0310328616
- EAN 9780310328612
- UPC 025986328610
- Pages 256
- Department Academic
- Category Biblical Studies
- Sub-Category Christ
- Publisher Zondervan
- Publication Date Feb 2018
- Sales Rank 3639
- Dimensions 180 x 127 x 16mm
- Weight 0.222kg
Dr John Dickson is an author and historian, and the Distinguished Fellow in Public Christianity at Ridley College (Melbourne). A busy public advocate for the Christian faith, John also teaches 'Historical Jesus' at the University of Sydney, and is a Visiting Academic in the Faculty of Classics at the University of Oxford (2016-2020). He is the presenter of Australia's top-rating religion podcast Undeceptions. He is married to Buff, and they have three children.
- :a Very Short Introduction1imaginings: Making Jesus In Our Image 2sources: How We Know What We Know3teacher: His Words And Their Impact4healer: The Deeds That Baffle5israel: A Nation On His Shoulders6christ: More Than A Surname7judge: His Pledge To Bring Justice8friend: The Scandal Of His Social Life9temple: The Relocation Of God’s Presence10saviour: The Meaning Of His Death11adam: The Promise Of His Resurrection12caesar: His Subversion Of An Empire13god: His Oneness With The Almighty14servant: His Preference For The Lowlyepilogue: Portrait Of A Follower Of Jesus