A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in An Instant Society
:Since Eugene Peterson first wrote this spiritual formation classic nearly forty years ago, hundreds of thousands of Christians have been inspired by its call to deeper discipleship. As a society, we are still obsessed with the immediate; new technologies have...
Available Now.7 Available
You may also like
:Since Eugene Peterson first wrote this spiritual formation classic nearly forty years ago, hundreds of thousands of Christians have been inspired by its call to deeper discipleship. As a society, we are still obsessed with the immediate; new technologies have only intensified our quest for the quick fix. But Peterson's time-tested prescription for discipleship remains the same-a long obedience in the same direction. Following Jesus in this way requires a deepening life of prayer, and throughout history Christians have learned to pray from the Psalms. Peterson finds encouragement for today's pilgrims in the Songs of Ascents (Psalms 120-134), sung by travelers on their way to worship in Jerusalem. With his prophetic and pastoral wisdom, Peterson shows how the psalms teach us to grow in worship, service, joy, work, happiness, humility, community, and blessing. This special commemorative edition of A Long Obedience in the Same Direction includes a new preface taken from Leif Peterson's eulogy at his father's memorial service.
Dr. Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. He has written nearly thirty influential books including, Praying with the Psalms; Praying with Jesus; Reversed Thunder; Leap Over a Wall; Run with the Horses and Answering God , but he is best known for The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary paraphrase of the Bible.
Eugene Peterson was educated at Seattle Pacific University, New York Theological Seminary, and Johns Hopkins University, and in 1962, Peterson became founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland, where he served for 29 years before retiring. He is Professor Emeritus of Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia retiring in 2002.
His most recent publications have been the Spiritual Theology Series including Eat this Book; Christ Dances in a Thousand Places; The Word Made Flesh; The Jesus Way and the fifth volume Practising Resurrection.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- :commemorative Preface By Leif Peterson
- 20th-anniversary Preface
- 1. Discipleship: "what Makes You Think You Can Race Against Horses?"
- 2. Repentance: "i'm Doomed To Live In Meshech"
- 3. Providence: "god Guards You From Every Evil"
- 4. Worship: "let's Go To The House Of God"
- 5. Service: "like Servants . . . We're Watching And Waiting"
- 6. Help: "oh, Blessed Be God! He Didn't Go Off And Leave Us"
- 7. Security: "god Encircles His People"
- 8. Joy: "we Laughed, We Sang"
- 9. Work: "if God Doesn't Build The House"
- 10. Happiness: "enjoy The Blessing! Revel In The Goodness!"
- 11. Perseverance: "they Never Could Keep Me Down"
- 12. Hope: "i Pray To God . . . And Wait For What He'll Say And Do"
- 13. Humility: "i've Kept My Feet On The Ground"
- 14. Obedience: "how He Promised God"
- 15. Community: "like Costly Anointing Oil Flowing Down Head And Beard"
- 16. Blessing: "lift Your Praising Hands"
- A Long Obedience: Epilogue