A Practical Primer on Theological Method: Table Manners For Discussing God, His Works, and His Ways
: Around a table sit men and women with distinct roles: The Interpreter, the Theologian, the Virtuous, the Philosopher, the Scientist, the Artist, the Minister, and the Historian. Each is ready to engage in a passionate discussion centered on God,...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship November 2019.
You may also like
Around a table sit men and women with distinct roles: The Interpreter, the Theologian, the Virtuous, the Philosopher, the Scientist, the Artist, the Minister, and the Historian. Each is ready to engage in a passionate discussion centered on God, his works, and his ways. Regardless of which role you play at the same table, you're invited. You simply need to pull up a chair and join the conversation. But how? What do you say when you take your seat? Where do you start? What are the "rules" of the dialogue?
A Practical Primer on Theological Method will help you answer these questions. This primer is not only a "how-to" manual for doing theology, but a handbook of etiquette for doctrinal discussions with other believers. This popular-level introductory text presents the proper manner, mode, and means of engaging fruitfully in theology.
- :prologue: The Purpose Of This Primer
- This Book Is Meant To Be Used As A Primer And Invitation To The Task Of Theology, Providing An Introductory Orientation To Theological Method And A Practical Guide For Doing Theology.
- Introduction: Around The Table
- Theological Method Can Be Likened To A Round Table Discussion Between Eight Individuals Representing Intersecting Fields Of Inquiry Centered On God’s Revelation.
- Chapter 1: What Theological Method Is And Isn’t
- Clearing Up Some Common Misunderstandings, “theological Method” Is Defined As The Manner, Mode, And Means Of Participating In Discourse Concerning God, His Works, And His Ways.
- Chapter 2: Theology As Framed Dialogue
- At The Center Of The Round Table, Theological Method Centers Its Discussion On God’s Threefold Revelation: The Word To The World, The Word In The World, And The World Of The Word.
- Chapter 3: The Task Of The Interpreter
- Providing Vital Guidance In Biblical Exegesis And Biblical Theology, The Interpreter Maintains The Standard Of Inspired Scripture As The Inviolable Norming Norm Of Theological Method.
- Chapter 4: The Mind Of The Theologian
- Guided By The “rule Of Faith” As A Confessional Cornerstone, The Theologian Focuses On Doctrinal Standards Believed, Taught, And Confessed In The Body Of Christ Worldwide.
- Chapter 5: The Burden Of The Virtuous
- The Virtuous Serves As The Conscience Of The Table By Attending To Virtues Of Faith, Hope, Love, Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude, And Justice As Well As Beauty, Balance, And Proportion.
- Chapter 6: The Pursuit Of The Philosopher
- Philosophy Provides Insight Into Fundamental Questions Of Hermeneutics, Truth, Logic, Worldview, And Critical Thinking Necessary To Better Understand, Defend, And Articulate Theology.
- Chapter 7: The Quest Of The Scientist
- Gaining Knowledge Through The Observation Of Natural Phenomena, Science Explores Gods Self-revelation In Creation To Better Understand And Communicate Theological Truth.
- Chapter 8: The Genius Of The Artist
- Arts And Culture Contribute To A Better Understanding And Articulation Of God, His Works, And His Ways As Particular Means Of Revealing The Image Of God Through Human Creativity.
- Chapter 9: The Labor Of The Minister
- Practical Christian Living And Ministry Contribute To Theological Reflection By Applying It In The Arena Of Experience, Resulting In A Better Understanding And Articulation Of Theological Truth.
- Chapter 10: The Voice Of The Historian
- To Gain Wisdom And Insight From Pastors And Teachers Of The Past, The Historian Contributes To Theology By A Study Of History Of Doctrine, History Of Interpretation, And Church History.
- Chapter 11: Invitation To The Table
- All Believers, From Every Field, Are Invited To The Task Of Theology: The Discourse Concerning God, His Works, And His Ways.