A Week in the Life of a Greco-Roman Woman
In first-century Ephesus, life is not easy for women. A young wife meets her daily struggles with equanimity and courage. She holds poverty and hunger at bay, fights to keep her child healthy and strong, and navigates the unpredictability of...
You May Also Like
In first-century Ephesus, life is not easy for women. A young wife meets her daily struggles with equanimity and courage. She holds poverty and hunger at bay, fights to keep her child healthy and strong, and navigates the unpredictability of her husband's temperament. But into the midst of her daily fears and worries, a new hope appears: a teaching that challenges her society's most basic assumption. What is this new teaching? And what will it demand of her? In this gripping novel, Holly Beers introduces us to the first-century setting where the apostle Paul first proclaimed the gospel. Illuminated by historical images and explanatory sidebars, this lively story not only shows us the rich tapestry of life in a thriving Greco-Roman city, it also foregrounds the interior life of one courageous woman-and the radical new freedom the gospel promised her.
Holly Beers is Instructor of Religious Studies at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, CA, USA.
- In First-century Ephesus, Life Is Not Easy For Women. A Young Wife Meets Her Daily Struggles With Equanimity And Courage. She Holds Poverty And Hunger At Bay, Fights To Keep Her Child Healthy And Strong, And Navigates The Unpredictability Of Her Husband's Temperament. But Into The Midst Of Her Daily Fears And Worries, A New Hope Appears: A Teaching That Challenges Her Society's Most Basic Assumption. What Is This New Teaching? And What Will It Demand Of Her? In This Gripping Novel, Holly Beers Introduces Us To The First-century Setting Where The Apostle Paul First Proclaimed The Gospel. Illuminated By Historical Images And Explanatory Sidebars, This Lively Story Not Only Shows Us The Rich Tapestry Of Life In A Thriving Greco-roman City, It Also Foregrounds The Interior Life Of One Courageous Woman-and The Radical New Freedom The Gospel Promised Her.
- Day 1, Wednesday: Day Of Mercury/hermes
- Day 2, Thursday: Day Of Jupiter/zeus
- Day 3, Friday: Day Of Venus/aphrodite
- Day 4, Saturday: Day Of Saturnus/kronos
- Day 5, Sunday: Day Of Sol/helios
- Day 6, Monday: Day Of Luna/selene
- Day 7, Tuesday: Day Of Mars/ares
- Further Reading