A Week in the Life of Corinth (A Week In The Life Series)
Ben Witherington III attempts to reenchant our reading of Paul in this creative reconstruction of ancient Corinth. Following a fictitious Corinthian man named Nicanor through an eventful week of business dealings and conflict, you will encounter life at various levels...
You May Also Like
Ben Witherington III attempts to reenchant our reading of Paul in this creative reconstruction of ancient Corinth. Following a fictitious Corinthian man named Nicanor through an eventful week of business dealings and conflict, you will encounter life at various levels of Roman society--eventually meeting Paul himself and gaining entrance into the Christian community there. The result is an unforgettable introduction to life in a major center of the New Testament world. Numerous full-page text boxes expand on a variety of aspects of life and culture as we encounter them in the narrative.
Ben Witherington III (Ph.D., University of Durham, England) is Amos Professor of New Testament for Doctoral Studies at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky, and is on the doctoral faculty at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland
He is the author of many books on the New Testament, including Women and the Genesis of Christianity (Cambridge University Press); Jesus the Sage (Fortress Press); The Jesus Quest (InterVarsity Press) and The Paul Quest (InterVarsity Press). With Hershel Shanks he is coauthor of The Brother of Jesus (HarperSanFrancisco), a book on the controversial James ossuary. A frequent contributor to Beliefnet.com, Witherington has also appeared on numerous TV news programs such as Dateline, 60 Minutes, 20/20 and the Peter Jennings ABC special Jesus and Paul--The Word and the Witness.
Dr Witherington has written a commentary on every book of the New Testament in a wide variety of series.
- Ben Witherington Iii Attempts To Reenchant Our Reading Of Paul In This Creative Reconstruction Of Ancient Corinth. Following A Fictitious Corinthian Man Named Nicanor Through An Eventful Week Of Business Dealings And Conflict, You Will Encounter Life At Various Levels Of Roman Society--eventually Meeting Paul Himself And Gaining Entrance Into The Christian Community There. The Result Is An Unforgettable Introduction To Life In A Major Center Of The New Testament World. Numerous Full-page Text Boxes Expand On A Variety Of Aspects Of Life And Culture As We Encounter Them In The Narrative.
- 2. Isthmia And Its Games
- 3. Paulos, Priscilla And Aquila
- 4. The Home Of Erastos
- 5. The Enmity Of The Enemy
- 6. Gallio's Gall
- 7. Erastos Goes Missing
- 8. The Proposition
- 9. The Trial Of Paulos
- 10. Julia's Prayers And Nicanor's Protection
- 11. The Subura And The Sabbath
- 12. Paulos, Priscilla And Erastos
- 13. <em>dies Solis:</em> The Morning Of The Day Of The Sun/son
- 14. The Afternoon Of The Day Of The Sun
- 15. The End Of The Day
- Post Scriptum
- Image Credits And Permissions