African Americans and the Bible
Perhaps no other group of people has been as much formed by biblical texts and tropes as African Americans. From literature and the arts to popular culture and everyday life, the Bible courses through Black society and culture, like the...
Unavailable. We are unsure when this item will be available to ship.0 Available.
You may also like
Perhaps no other group of people has been as much formed by biblical texts and tropes as African Americans. From literature and the arts to popular culture and everyday life, the Bible courses through Black society and culture, like the Mississippi through the American heartland.;The focus of this book is on the complex interaction between the people known as African Americans and that complex of rhetorics, visions, and ideologies known as the Bible. It is about a particular socio-cultural formation but also about the dynamics that obtain in the interrelation between any group of people and sacred texts in general.
African Americans and the Bible is the fruit of a four-year collaborative research project directed by Vincent L. Wimbush, bringing together scholars and experts - sixty-eight in all - from a wide range of academic and artistic fields and disciplines.
Wimbush is professor of New Testatment and Christian Origins at Union Theological Seminary, New York.
- Pre-texts: The Study Of The Bible As Ethnography
- The Study Of The Bible As Socio-cultural Hermeneutics
- The Study Of The Bible As Cultural-historical Reality. Con-texts: Flight,
- Or Cultural De-formation And Discovery Of The Self-in-marronage
- Settlement, Or Formation Of The Self-and-worlds-in-marronage
- Negotiation, Or Re-form(ul)ation From The Site Of Marronage. Sub-texts:
- "it's Not Just A Church Thing"
- "it's Not Just A Christian Thing"
- "it's Not Just A Black Thing"
- "it's Not Just An American Thing"
- "it Is An Academic/intellectual Thing"
- "some Things About It Are Disturbing"
- "it's How Women Read Themselves And The World"
- "it's Not A Change Of Colour But A Whole Change Of Subject Kind Of