The father of the intelligent design movement, Phillip Johnson, thinks the new atheists are right! How? They've put serious discussion about God back on the public agenda. Despite their conclusions, folks like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett are...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
The father of the intelligent design movement, Phillip Johnson, thinks the new atheists are right! How? They've put serious discussion about God back on the public agenda. Despite their conclusions, folks like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett are asking the right questions. They're making belief in any religion an issue again, especially in the university context where, for decades, questions about faith and reason have been taken off the table for serious discussion. Open debate is exactly what we need on the topics of God, evolution and creation. Together Johnson and John Mark Reynolds help us see the unique opportunity these vociferous and even evangelistic atheists are creating in their attempt to convert us to their unbelief. The authors show that we need not fear or react against these challenges. Rather they point to better ways to engage the opinions of this new, aggressive form of antireligious activity. With skill and insight they energetically take on the question of whether the evidence leads to a materialistic naturalism or points toward a creator God. Be informed. Be encouraged. Join the discussion.
A graduate of Harvard University and the University of Chicago Law School, Phillip E. Johnson served as law clerk for Chief Justice Earl Warren of the United States Supreme Court and taught law for more than thirty years at the University of California, Berkeley where he is professor emeritus.
For the last decade Johnson has also been at the forefront of the public debate over evolution and creation. He is recognized as the leading spokesman for the intelligent design movement, and he has taken his message to such places as the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. Johnson travels frequently to speak at conferences and with television and radio audiences. He has appeared on Chuck Colson's Breakpoint, on Business News Network's Consumer Hotlineand on James Dobson's Focus on the Family,"among other shows.
Johnson is an advisor to the Discovery Institutes Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture (Seattle, Washington). His Books include Darwin on Trial (1993); Reason in the BalanceThe Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law & Education (1998); The Wedge of TruthSplitting the Foundations of Naturalism (2002); The Right QuestionsTruth, Meaning & Public Debate (2004); Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds. and most recently Against All Gods: What's Right and Wrong About the New Atheism. (2010)
John Mark Reynolds (Ph.D., University of Rochester) is founder and director of the Torrey Honors Institute and professor of philosophy at Biola University. Reynolds lectures frequently on ancient philosophy, philosophy of science, home schooling and cultural trends. He has taught philosophy at several colleges and universities, and he completed a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in the philosophy of science at Biola University.
He regularly appears on radio talk shows, such as the Hugh Hewitt Show, and actively blogs on cultural issues at ScriptorumDaily.com and the Washinton Post's On Faith column. His books include Three Views on Creation and Evolution (Zondervan), Towards a Unified Plationic Human Psychology and When Athens Met Jerusalem: An Introduction to Classical and Christian Thought.
- The Father Of The Intelligent Design Movement, Phillip Johnson, Thinks The New Atheists Are Right! How? They've Put Serious Discussion About God Back On The Public Agenda. Despite Their Conclusions, Folks Like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris And Daniel Dennett Are Asking The Right Questions. They're Making Belief In Any Religion An Issue Again, Especially In The University Context Where, For Decades, Questions About Faith And Reason Have Been Taken Off The Table For Serious Discussion. Open Debate Is Exactly What We Need On The Topics Of God, Evolution And Creation. Together Johnson And John Mark Reynolds Help Us See The Unique Opportunity These Vociferous And Even Evangelistic Atheists Are Creating In Their Attempt To Convert Us To Their Unbelief. The Authors Show That We Need Not Fear Or React Against These Challenges. Rather They Point To Better Ways To Engage The Opinions Of This New, Aggressive Form Of Antireligious Activity. With Skill And Insight They Energetically Take On The Question Of Whether The Evidence Leads To A Materialistic Naturalism Or Points Toward A Creator God. Be Informed. Be Encouraged. Join The Discussion.
- 1 Introducing The New Atheists
- 2 Harvard's Aborted Requirement In Reason And Faith
- 3 Earth's Distinction
- 4 The Darwinian Worldview
- 5 The God Hypothesis In Physics
- 6 The Obstacle Of Old Books
- 7 A Wonderful Education
- 8 Christianity And Beauty