Authentic Communication (Christian Worldview Integration Series)
Part of the Christian Worldview Integration Series ^^Whether setting about to love our neighbor, to settle a dispute, to share in the suffering of others or to speak up on behalf of the marginalized, we inevitably must engage in...
Available Now.1 Available
You may also like
Part of the Christian Worldview Integration Series
^^Whether setting about to love our neighbor, to settle a dispute, to share in the suffering of others or to speak up on behalf of the marginalized, we inevitably must engage in communication. And what could be more natural, more human, than communication?
^^But we all learn quickly enough that good communication is not always natural. There is much to learn from Scripture and from the academic study of human communication. Tim Muehlhoff and Todd Lewis are able guides, aiding us in understanding the broad field of human communication in Christian perspective.
^^Here they offer readers a vital assessment of the power of words, perspective-taking, persuasion and conflict management--all in an effort to improve our abilities to communicate forgiveness and shape the world we live in for the good. Special attention is focused on the place of Christians as counterpublics--those who offer alternative perspectives to the dominant voices in society.^
Tim Muehlhoff (Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) has served on the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ since 1986. He is currently an associate professor of communication at Biola University in La Mirada, California, where he teaches classes in interpersonal communication, rhetoric and gender.
Tim has written about God, communication and faith in diverse publications such as the Journal of Religion and Communication, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Mars Hill Review and Discipleship Journal.
He has co-authored The God Conversation: Using Stories and Illustrations to Explain Your Faith with J. P. Moreland -Tim Muehlhoff says that often the best way to win over others is with a good story. Stories have the ability to get behind our preconceptions and defences, and most recently he has co-authored Authentic Communication: Christian Speech Engaging Culture (Christian Worldview Integration Series) with Todd V. Lewis and Marriage Forecasting:Changing the Climate of Your Relationship One Conversation at a Time.
- Series Preface: Importance Of Integration--j. P. Moreland & Francis Beckwith
- <strong>part I: Understanding The Components Of Communication</strong>
- 1 The Power Of Human Communication
- 2 Perspective-taking: Engaging The Views Of Others
- 3 Words! Words! Words!: We Can Only Imagine
- 4 Persuasion: Spiritual Power Or Manipulation And Rhetorical Tricks?
- 5 Before The Sun Sets: Conflict And Christian Unity
- <strong>part Ii: Applying Communication</strong>
- 6 Communicating Forgiveness
- 7 Communicating About And Evaluating The Messages Of Popular Culture
- 8 Resident Aliens: Christians As Counterpublics
- 9 Postmodern Times And Christian Counterpublics (part 1)
- 10 Postmodern Times And Christian Counterpublics (part 2)
- 11 Abnormal Communication: A Christian Response To The Argument Culture
- 12 Social Justice: Speaking For The Marginalized
- Final Thoughts