Awakening the Quieter Virtues
Big, colourful virtues like courage and decisiveness in crisis easily get our attention. But sometimes it's those everyday values that shape us much more profoundly. Lost in our noisy, flashy, gaudy world are the quiet virtues that work behind the...
Unavailable. Out of Print. Only available while stock lasts. eBook is Available.Out of Print
You may also like
Big, colourful virtues like courage and decisiveness in crisis easily get our attention. But sometimes it's those everyday values that shape us much more profoundly. Lost in our noisy, flashy, gaudy world are the quiet virtues that work behind the scenes--molding our character, guiding our actions, enriching our lives. Greg Spencer unfolds the beauty and nature of each, showing us how to take notice of discernment, innocence, generosity, authenticity and more. In this book you'll discover how far from being dull, these all play a major, though often hidden, role in who we become and what we do.You'll also find practical exercises and companion spiritual disciplines to strengthen these virtues. A guide for personal reflection or group discussion offers further guidance to awakening the quieter virtues in you.
Dr. Gregory Spencer is professor of communication studies at Westmont College in Southern California. He specializes in rhetorical theory and criticism, religious rhetoric, and media ethics. Dr. Spencer's teaching has been noted for its creativity. According to one former student, "His words do not merely paint pictures, they provide eyes to see the pictures that have always been before us. In this sense, his classroomis no less than a portal into a transformed world."
- 1 The Grinch Was Right
- 2 Discernment: Choosing Life Or Cheering Death
- The Discipline Of Attentiveness
- 3 Innocence: Lost And Found
- The Discipline Of Advocacy
- 4 Authenticity: Our Genuine Longing
- The Discipline Of Real Presence
- 5 Modesty: It's Not A Modest Virtue
- The Discipline Of Timely Remembrance
- 6 Reverence: The Church Without Shoes
- The Discipline Of Astonishment
- 7 Contentment: Don't Care How; I Want It Now!
- The Discipline Of Ars Morendi
- 8 Generosity: Fingers, Fists And An Open Hand
- The Discipline Of Compassionate Imagination
- 9 Shouting Softly
- Appendix: Definitions And Disciplines