Balm in Gilead: A Theological Dialogue With Marilynne Robinson
:Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Marilynne Robinson is one of the most eminent public intellectuals in America today. In addition to literary elegance, her trilogy of novels (Gilead, Home, and Lila ) and her collections of essays offer...
In Stock3 available
You May Also Like
:Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Marilynne Robinson is one of the most eminent public intellectuals in America today. In addition to literary elegance, her trilogy of novels (Gilead, Home, and Lila) and her collections of essays offer probing meditations on the Christian faith. Many of these reflections are grounded in her belief that the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformer John Calvin still deserves a hearing in the twenty-first century. This volume, based on the 2018 Wheaton Theology Conference, brings together the thoughts of leading theologians, historians, literary scholars, and church leaders who engaged in theological dialogue with Robinson's published work-and with the author herself.
Timothy Larsen (Ph.D. University of Stirling, Scotland) is Professor of Theology at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. He is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and has been elected a Visiting Fellow, Trinity College, Cambridge. He is the author or editor of numerous books including Christabel Pankhurst: Fundamentalism and Feminism in Coalition (Boydell, 2002), with Treier, D. The Cambridge Companion to Evangelical Theology (Cambridge University Press, 2007), with Husbands, M. Women, Ministry, and the Gospel: Exploring New Paradigms (InterVarsity Press, 2007).Crisis of Doubt: Honest Faith in Nineteenth-Century England (Oxford: Oxford University Press) was named The Book of the Year for 2006 by Books and Culture. and Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals. is regarded as essential reading for those wishing to understand the development of Evangelicalism.
- Introduction (timothy Larsen And Keith L. Johnson)
- 1. The Theological World Of The Reverend John Ames (timothy Larsen)
- 2. Heart Conditions: <em>gilead</em> And Augustinian Theology (han-luen Kantzer Komline)
- 3. Marilynne Robinson And John Calvin (timothy George)
- 4. The Metaphysics Of Marilynne Robinson (keith L. Johnson)
- 5. Thinking About Preaching With Marilynne Robinson (lauren F. Winner)
- 6. Marilynne Robinson And The African American Experience (patricia Andujo)
- 7. Space/time/doctrine: Marilynne Robinson's Gilead Novels (tiffany Eberle Kriner)
- 8. Heaven And Earth: Reading <em>gilead</em> Through The Landscape Of The Fox River (joel Sheesley)
- 9. Beyond Goodness: Gilead And The Discovery Of The Connections Of Grace (rowan Williams)
- 10. The Protestant Conscience (marilynne Robinson)
- 11. A Conversation Between Marilynne Robinson And Rowan Williams (moderated By Vincent Bacote And Christina Bieber Lake)
- 12. An Interview With Marilynne Robinson (philip Ryken)
- Name And Subject Index
- Scripture Index