Jesus called us to "serve the least" as a way of life. Yet we often reduce serving to a once a month program or seasonal event. Whether you are a pastor or a layperson, here you will find simple, reproducible...
Available Now.1 Available
You may also like
Jesus called us to "serve the least" as a way of life. Yet we often reduce serving to a once a month program or seasonal event. Whether you are a pastor or a layperson, here you will find simple, reproducible strategies that will move your church from good intentions to compassionate action.
^^^People are hungry to make a difference in their community, yet most don't know where to start. In fact, "serving the least" is often one of the most neglected biblical mandates in the church.
^ ^Barefoot Church:Serving the Least in a Consumer Culture^ shows readers how today's church can be a catalyst for individual, collective, and social renewal in any context. Whether pastors or laypeople, readers will discover practical ideas that end up being as much about the Gospel and personal transformation as they are about serving the poor. Here they will see how the organizational structure of the church can be created or redesigned for mission in any context.
^ ^Drawing from his own journey, Brandon Hatmaker proves to readers that serving the least is not a trendy act of benevolence but a lifestyle of authentic community and spiritual transformation.
^ ^As Hatmaker writes, "My hope is that God would open our eyes more and more to the needs of our community. And that we would see it as the church's responsibility to lead the charge."
Planting pastor of Austin New Church, founder of South Austin Cares, father of the three coolest kids in America, and husband to author and speaker, Jen Hatmaker. What a life!
- 1. Why A Barefoot Church: * Doing More * The Barefoot Story * Making It Personal * Foundations For Structure.
- 2. Beyond The Social Gospel: * There Is No Reason For Poverty Today. We Literally Have Every Resource To Abolish It. Our Only Need Is The People Willing To Give It. * The Church Of Tomorrow
- * Hollywood And Justice: Where's The Church? * Never Been More Culturally Relevant. (church Growth) * A Discussion Of Changing The Posture Of Church To The Unbelieving World Through Observing The Natural 'missional Flow' As Discussed By Hugh Halter's 'tangible Kingdom'
- 3. The Danger With Missional Without Mission-minded: * Missional Jargin (defining Missional, Mission, And Compassion). * Missional Is Not A Fad. It's Biblical. Service Is The Key To Keeping It Outward. * Observing What's Next On The Missional Landscape
- * Why The Mission To Engage Need Is Critical (a) Biblical (b) Continuous.
- 4. Balancing Gathering And Sending Of The Church (finding The Crisis) * Both/and: Key To Our Strategy (hugh Halter) * Our Gathering Culture. * Need: Spiritual, Emotional (relational), And Physical -- Mother Teresa. * Strategy Of Exposing, Experiencing, And Engaging Needs In Community.
- 5. Tension And Structuring For Serving (compassion Ministry) * Structure Of Staff Meetings * Personnel And Salaries. * Structuring Through Tension. * The Sacrifice Of Tension. * The Difference Between Self-less Service And Self-service. * Evaluating Our Motives. 6. Service-minded Community. * Mission And Staying 'sent' * Decentralized Leadership * Illustrating The 'love Your Neighbor, Serve Your City' Model. * Balancing Incarnational Community With Missional Community
- 7. Evangelism And Serving (compassion Ministry) * Two Inextricable Links: Gospel And Serving The Poor * Posture Of Service And The Walls It Breaks Down * Stories Of Those Coming To Faith Through Service And Returning To Faith Through Relationship/service
- 8. Discipleship And Serving (compassion Ministry) * Go And Make Disciples. What Does That Mean? * Selfless Service Of A Disciple: Serving With A Real Heart To Gain Nothing. * Obedience, Self-sacrifice, And Sacrificial Giving. * 'nothing Of Great Significance Comes Without Great Sacrifice' * The Strategy Of Doing What You Least Want To Do. * Real Life Transformation.
- 9. Serving And Measuring Success * Changing What We Evaluate * Faithfulness Verses Completed Tasks * Trusting God With The Results * People Not Programs. * Sustainability: The New Idol * Planting Churches
- 10. Kingdom Partnership And Serving Together. * What Is Kingdom: Really? Do We Know? * Keys To The Kingdom. * Non-profit Partnerships. * Serving Together: Eliminates Fear. * Planting Together * Networking Together * Mega And Micro Church Partnerships
- 11. What's Next? * Re-structuring For Service: Starting Slow. * Structuring For Service: Starting Over. * Maintaining Unity: Serving In A Consumer Culture Without Judgment. * Model For Multiplication And Reproducing