Becoming a Just Church: Cultivating Communities of God's Shalom
:Stop outsourcing justice! Many local churches don't know what to do about justice. We tend to compartmentalize it as merely a strategy for outreach, and we often outsource it to parachurch justice ministries. While these organizations do good work,...
In Stock8 available
You May Also Like
:Stop outsourcing justice! Many local churches don't know what to do about justice. We tend to compartmentalize it as merely a strategy for outreach, and we often outsource it to parachurch justice ministries. While these organizations do good work, individual congregations are left disconnected from God's just purposes in the world. Adam Gustine calls the local church to be just and do justice. He provides a theological vision for our identity as a just people, where God's character and the pursuit of shalom infuses every aspect of our congregational DNA. As we grow in becoming just, the church becomes a prophetic alternative to the broken systems of the world and a parable of God's intentions for human flourishing and societal transformation. This renewed vision for the church leads us into cultivating a just life together-in community, discipleship, worship, and more-extending justice out into the world in concrete ways. Let's hold being and doing together, so we can become just, compassionate communities that restore shalom and bring hope to the world.
Edwards is a Senior Lecturer in Systematic Theology at Catholic Theological College and in the ecumenical consortium at the Adelaide College of Divinity, Flinders University.
- :foreword By Dennis Edwards
- <strong>part 1: An Ecclesiology For Justice</strong>
- 1. Justice Isn't An Outreach Strategy: A Way Of Life For The People Of God
- 2. Exiles In The Promised Land: The Church As Prophetic Alternative
- 3. Demonstrating Mañana: The Church As A Parable Of God's Intent
- 4. Gardeners Of Shalom: The Church For Flourishing And Transformation
- <strong>part 2: Justice In Our Congregational Life</strong>
- 5. Low-ground Church: Discerning Vision In A High-ground World
- 6. Recovering Kinship: Hospitality As Resistance
- 7. Finding Common Kingdom Ground: Discipling People Into Shalom Community
- 8. Worship: Questions That Drive How We Gather
- <strong>part 3: What's Next?</strong>
- 9. Power: A Conversation About The Linchpin Of Justice With Juliet Liu And Brandon Green
- Epilogue: Commence Justice