Called to Be Saints
Evangelicals are known for their emphasis on conversion. But what about life after conversion and beyond justification? Desperately needed is a comprehensive theology of the Christian life from beginning to end, along with the means of formation and transformation. In ...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Evangelicals are known for their emphasis on conversion. But what about life after conversion and beyond justification? Desperately needed is a comprehensive theology of the Christian life from beginning to end, along with the means of formation and transformation. In Called to Be Saints, Gordon Smith draws on a distinguished lifetime of reflecting on these themes to offer us a theologically rich account of our participation in the life of Christ. Both profound and practical, this book is a trinitarian theology of holiness that encompasses both justification and sanctification, both union with Christ and communion with God. Smith unfolds how and why Christians are called to become wise people, do good work, love others and enjoy rightly ordered affections. If holiness is the ongoing journey of becoming mature in Christ, then there is no better guide than Smith. Christians in every walk of life will find this a rich resource for learning what it means to "grow up in every way . . . into Christ" (Ephesians 4:15).
Gordon T. Smith (Ph.D., Loyola School of Theology, Ateneo de Manila University) grew up in Ecuador and is president of reSource (formerly Overseas Council Canada), which works with other reSource affiliates to support and enable excellence in theological education in the developing world. Formerly academic dean and associate professor of spiritual theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia.
He is author of a number of works in theology and the spiritual life including A Holy Meal; Beginning Well: Christian Conversion & Authentic Transformation; Courage and Calling; Listening to God in Times of Choice and The Voice of Jesus.
- Chapter 1: Called To Be Saints: The Need For A Compelling Theology Of Holiness
- Chapter 2: Union With Christ
- Chapter 3: Holy People Are Wise People: An Invitation To Sapiential Holiness
- Chapter 4: Called To Do Good Work: An Invitation To Vocational Holiness
- Chapter 5: Learning To Love: An Invitation To Social Holiness
- Chapter 6: Joy And The Ordering Of The Affections: An Invitation To Emotional Holiness
- Appendix 1: Congregations And Transformation: The Church And The Call To Spiritual Maturity
- Appendix 2: Christian Higher Education: A Passion For Wisdom And Spiritual Transformation