Calvinism in Europe 1540-1620
Calvinism was the most dynamic and disruptive religious force of the later sixteenth century. Its emergence on the international scene shattered the precarious equilibrium established in the first generation of the Reformation, and precipitated three generations of religious warfare. This...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Calvinism was the most dynamic and disruptive religious force of the later sixteenth century. Its emergence on the international scene shattered the precarious equilibrium established in the first generation of the Reformation, and precipitated three generations of religious warfare. This collection of original essays, newly available in paperback, probes different aspects of this complex phenomenon at a local level. Contributors present the results of their detailed work on societies as diverse as France, Germany, Highland Scotland and Hungary. Among wider themes approached are the impact of Calvin's writings, Calvinism in higher education, the contrasting fates of reformed preachers in town and country, Calvinist discipline and apocalyptic thought, and the shadowy affinity of merchants and scholars who formed a critical part of the 'Calvinist International'.
"...this volume will be welcomed by advanced students of early modern religion, society and politics." History
An interesting collection of essays probing the different aspects of international Calvinism.
- List Of Figures
- Notes On Contributors
- List Of Abbreviations 1. Perspectives On European Calvinism Alastair Duke
- 2. The Geneva Consistory In The Time Of Calvin Robert M. Kingdon
- 3. The Geneva Academy Gillian Lewis
- 4. Calvin And The Swiss Reformed Churches Bruce Gordon
- 5. Calvin's Works In Translation Francis Higman
- 6. Calvinists In Troyes, 1562-1572: The Legacy Of Vassy And The Background
- To St Bartholomew Penny Roberts
- 7. The Calvinist Experiment In Bearn Mark Greengrass
- 8. The Changing Face Of Calvinism In Antwerp, 1555-1590 Andrew Pettegree
- 10. Confessionalism And Absolutism: The Case Of Brandenburg Bodo Nischan
- 11. Calvinism In Hungary: The Theological And Ecclesiastical Transition To
- The Reformed Faith David P. Daniel
- 12. Calvinism And The Gaidhealtachd In Scotland Jane Dawson
- 13. Merchants And Ministers: The Foundations Of International Calvinism
- Ole Peter Grell