Christian Political Witness
"My kingdom is not of this world." Followers of Jesus have been struggling to understand these words ever since he first uttered them--often in sharply contradictory ways. Today the inescapably political nature of Christian witness is widely recognized. But what...
Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
"My kingdom is not of this world." Followers of Jesus have been struggling to understand these words ever since he first uttered them--often in sharply contradictory ways. Today the inescapably political nature of Christian witness is widely recognized. But what is the shape of this witness? What should Christian political engagement look like today?The twelve essays in this volume, originally presented at the 2013 Wheaton Theology Conference, present biblical, historical and theological proposals for thinking responsibly about the intersection of church and state in the contemporary cultural situation. Prophetic and pastoral, this book offers a fresh look at a crucial and contested dimension of the Christian life.Contributors include:Stanley HauerwasMark NollScot McKnightTimothy G. GombisGeorge KalantzisJana Marguerite BennettWilliam T. CavanaughPeter J. LeithartDaniel M. Bell Jr.Jennifer M. McBrideDavid P. GusheeBishop David Gitari
George Kalantzis (Ph.D., Northwestern University) is associate professor of theology at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. His research and writing interests focus on the dynamic relationship between the written documents and their interpretation in early Christianity, paying particular attention to the development of Christological and Trinitarian thought, as well as the interplay of classical Greco-Roman and early Christian philosophical understandings of anthropology and biblical hermeneutics.
For the past ten years Kalantzis has taught seminary and doctoral students as they were preparing to engage the world and the Church. He and his wife share this goal and vision with their Chicago area congregation where they serve in missions, the worship arts programs, and in adult and children's education.
- :introduction, By George Kalantzis And Gregory W. Lee
- 1 Church Matters, By Stanley Hauerwas
- 2 The Peril And Potential Of Scripture In Christian Political Witness, By Mark Noll
- 3 <em>extra Ecclesiam Nullum Regnum</em>: The Politics Of Jesus, By Scot Mcknight
- 4 The Political Vision Of The Apostle To The Nations, By Timothy G. Gombis
- 5 A Witness To The Nations: Early Christianity And Narratives Of Power, By George Kalantzis
- 6 Not So Private: A Political Theology Of Church And Family, By Jana Marguerite Bennett
- 7 Are Corporations People? The Corporate Form And The Body Of Christ, By William T. Cavanaugh
- 8 Violence, By Peter J. Leithart
- 9 Just War As Christian Politics, By Daniel M. Bell Jr.
- 10 Repentance As Political Witness, By Jennifer M. Mcbride
- 11 Christian Political Witness: Key Current Debates, By David P. Gushee
- 12 Christian Political Witness: You Are In The World But Not Of It, By David Gitari
- List Of Contributors
- Author Index
- Subject Index