Churches, Cultures and Leadership
As the church continues to hear and heed Christ's call to reflect the multiethnic character of his people, pastors and lay leaders need to gain skills and competencies to serve in those contexts. The multicultural team of Juan Martinez and...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
As the church continues to hear and heed Christ's call to reflect the multiethnic character of his people, pastors and lay leaders need to gain skills and competencies to serve in those contexts. The multicultural team of Juan Martinez and Mark Branson has written this book to equip such leaders to create environments that make God's reconciling initiatives apparent in church life and in our missional engagement with neighborhoods and cities.
^^Generated by courses they teach at Fuller Theological Seminary, Branson and Martinez take an interdisciplinary approach that integrates biblical and theological study with the disciplines of sociology, cultural anthropology and communications. The result is a rich blend of astute analysis with guidance for practical implementation of a deeper intercultural life for the church.
^^Case studies, Bible studies and exercises for personal reflection and classroom use connect the real life and everyday challenges that inevitably arise in multi-ethnic contexts. Martinez and Branson offer not static model but a praxis of "paying attention," reflection and study that can lead to a genuine reconciliation and shared life empowered by the gospel that is personal, interpersonal, cultural and structural^
Mark Lau Branson (M.A., School of Theology at Claremont; Ed.D., University of San Francisco) is the Homer L. Goddard Associate Professor of the Ministry of the Laity at Fuller Theological Seminary. He teaches courses in congregational leadership and community engagement.
- List Of Bible Studies
- List Of Personal Reflections/group Exercises
- List Of Figures And Tables
- <strong>part I: Theology And Context</strong>
- 1 Practical Theology And Multicultural Initiatives
- 2 Missional Ecclesiology And Church Context
- 3 Sociocultural Structures, Ethnicity And Churches
- <strong>part Ii: Sociocultural Perspectives</strong>
- 4 Worldviews, Reality And Assumptions
- 5 Language, Gestures And Power
- 6 Defining Social Relations
- 7 Self-perception And Individuality
- 8 Perception And Thinking
- <strong>part Iii: Leadership, Communication And Change</strong>
- 9 Intercultural Communication
- 10 Leading Change
- 11 Practices For The Calling
- Appendix: Theological Resources
- Annotated Bibliography
- Name And Subject Index
- Scripture Index