Clouds of Witnesses: Christian Voices From Africa and Asia
As Africa and Asia take their place as the new Christian heartlands, a new and robust company of saints is coming into view. ^^In seventeen inspiring narratives Mark Noll and Carolyn Nystrom introduce pivotal Christian leaders in Africa and Asia...
Locally SourcedAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
As Africa and Asia take their place as the new Christian heartlands, a new and robust company of saints is coming into view.
^^In seventeen inspiring narratives Mark Noll and Carolyn Nystrom introduce pivotal Christian leaders in Africa and Asia who had tenacious faith in the midst of deprivation, suffering and conflict. Spanning a century, from the 1880s to the 1980s, their stories demonstrate the vitality of the Christian faith in a diversity of contexts.
^^This kaleidoscopic witness to the power of the gospel will both inspire and educate. Whether for a class in global Christianity or for a personal journey to other times and places of faith, Clouds of Witnesses: Christian Voices from Africa and Asia^ is a book that tugs at our curiosity and resists being laid down. An engaging traveling companion to Mark Noll's award-winning book The New Shape of World Christianity.
"Clouds of Witnessespowerfully portrays the lives, ministries and contributions of leading non-Western Christians in a diversity of contexts and Christian traditions. This unique collection provides a timely reminder that non-Western Christianities, now the dominant form of the faith, were forged in historical situations that are far removed from the purview of most Western Christians. It is compiled with keen sensitivity to the complex nuances of the historical record. The pivotal role of indigenous agency in the extraordinary expansion of Christianity in the non-Western world is fleshed out, but with ample reminders that the vital spark in many remarkable events was often ignited in the encounter between Western missionary agent and indigenous believer. Thus, the voices that speak in this volume speak to the whole church."
Mark A. Noll (Ph.D., Vanderbilt University) is Francis McAnaney Professor of History at the University of Notre Dame. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is advisory editor for Books and Culture and subeditor for the new Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Noll's main academic interests concern the interaction of Christianity and culture in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Anglo-American societies.
He has published articles and reviews on a wide variety of subjects involving Christianity in modern history. Some of his many books include The Civil War as a Theological Crisis; Is the Reformation Over?; The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys; The Old Religion in a New World and most recently The New Shape of World Christianity; Jesus Christ and the Life of the Mind and Clouds of Witnesses: Christian Voices from Africa and Asia.
Nystrom is a freelance writer based in the western Chicago suburbs. She has written more than 75 books and Bible study guides and served as general editor for the Christian Classics Series. She lives in Saint Charles, Illinois.
- List Of Maps
- <strong>southern Africa</strong>
- 1 Bernard Mizeki (c. 1861--1896): The First Anglican African Martyr
- 2 John Chilembwe (c. 1870--1915): Holistic Christian And Accidental Rebel
- 3 Albert Luthuli (1898--1967): Gentleman Of Justice
- <strong>west Africa</strong>
- 4 William Wad Harris (c. 1865 --c. 1929): Passionate Prophet
- 5 Byang Kato (1936--1975): Theological Visionary
- <strong>east Africa</strong>
- 6. Simeon Nsibambi (1897--1978): Revival Anchor
- 7 Janani Luwum (1922--1977): Martyr Of "the Second Century"
- 8 Pandita Ramabai (1858--1922): Christian, Hindu, Reformer
- 9 V. S. Azariah (1874--1945): Bishop, Statesman, Pastor
- 10 Sundar Singh (1889--1929?): Mysterious Mystic
- 11 Sun Chu Kil (1869--1935): Pastor And Founding Father
- 12 Dora Yu (1873--1931): Catalyst For An Enduring Chinese Faith
- 13 Mary Stone /shi Meiyu (1873--1954): Agent Of Change
- 14 John Sung /song Shangjie (1901--1944): Firestorm Evangelist
- 15 Yao-tsung Wu /wu Yaozong (1893--1979): Communist And Christian
- 16 Wang Mingdao (1900--1991): Imprisoned By Choice
- 17 Ignatius Cardinal Kung/kung Pin-mei (1901--2000): A Catholic Valiant For Truth
- For Further Reading
- Image Credits