While working as a docent in an art gallery, Juliet Benner began showing people how to meditate on Christian art treasures that are rooted in a passage of Scripture. She taught a way of encountering the Word behind both the...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 4 to 5 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
While working as a docent in an art gallery, Juliet Benner began showing people how to meditate on Christian art treasures that are rooted in a passage of Scripture. She taught a way of encountering the Word behind both the words of Scripture and the artist's meditation on Scripture. This became a way of seeing art as an aid to contemplative prayer.
^^This process resulted in her much-beloved "O Taste and See" columns that appeared in the spiritual formation journal Conversations, now expanded into this book. In each chapter you'll encounter a passage of Scripture and a corresponding piece of art. You'll be guided into deeper levels of meaning and reflection through the text and the questions at the end of each chapter. In the process you'll find yourself entering into a new experience of prayer and meditation in God's presence.^
Juliet Benner is a retreat and workshop leader whose travel in recent years has taken her to Singapore, Malaysia, Norway, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Hong Kong and Indonesia. Benner has taught high school English and art and worked as a teaching leader with Bible Study Fellowship, International.
While raising her family, she trained and worked as a calligrapher. She has also worked in art education, serving for twelve years as a docent at the Art Gallery of Hamilton (Canada). Her primary training in spiritual direction was at St. Joseph's Centre for Spirituality (also in Hamilton, Canada). She is the author of Contemplative Vision: A Guide to Christian Art and Prayer.
She has since served as a consultant in art and spirituality at the Carey Centre on the campuses of the University of British Columbia (Vancouver) and Tao Fong Shan Christian Centre (Hong Kong). She lives in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, with her husband, David, who shares her passion for hiking, nature, art and music.
- Introduction: Christian Art And Transformation
- <strong>part One: Transformed Awareness</strong>
- 1 Awakening
- Bruegel The Elder, Census At Bethlehem
- 2 Coming Aside
- Moretto Da Brescia, Christ In The Wilderness
- 3 Gazing In Stillness
- Johannes Vermeer, Jesus In The House Of Mary And Martha
- 4 Attuned To God’s Presence
- Jean-franois Millet, The Angelus
- <strong>part Two: Transformed Vision</strong>
- 5 Called To See
- Nicolas Poussin, The Adoration Of The Shepherds
- 6 Immanuel, God With Us
- Rembrandt, Christ In The Storm On The Lake Of Galilee
- 7 Seeing And Believing
- Caravaggio, The Incredulity Of St. Thomas
- 8 Recognizing Christ
- Caravaggio, The Supper At Emmaus
- <strong>part Three: Transformed Living</strong>
- 9 The Way Of The Cross
- Ridolfo Ghirlandaio, Procession To Calvary
- 10 Called To Follow
- Caravaggio, The Call Of St. Matthew
- 11 Seeing Christ In Others
- He Qi, The Visitation
- 12 Bearing Christ
- Rubens, Descent From The Cross
- 13 Seeing And Serving
- Luca Giordano, The Good Samaritan
- Epilogue: Transforming Vision
- Appendix 1: Suggestions For Group Discussion Leaders
- Appendix 2: Suggestions For Use In Spiritual Direction
- Image Credits