Counseling Strategies Interventions (5th Edition)
This highly readable, pragmatic book focuses on basic counseling skills and strategies within a multicultural context. This concise book also provides an orientation and introduction to the helping process and the counseling profession. Current issues within the counseling profession, such...
Out of PrintUnavailable
You May Also Like
This highly readable, pragmatic book focuses on basic counseling skills and strategies within a multicultural context. This concise book also provides an orientation and introduction to the helping process and the counseling profession. Current issues within the counseling profession, such as diversity and multiculturalism, are discussed and integrated throughout the book. A unique focus is given to the student's growth and development as a counselor and how the student can best use supervision in this developmental process.
- Each Chapter Concludes With Osummary,o Odiscussion Questions,o And
- Orecommended Readings.o Exercises. Preface. 1.the Helping Profession. What
- Is Helping? Setting In Which Counselors Work. Ingredients Of Professional
- Counseling. Training And Credentialing Of Counselors. 2.the Helping
- Relationship. Accurate Empathy. Positive Regard. Genuineness.
- Self-disclosure. A Climate Of Safety. 3.attending To Clients.
- Communication Of Attentiveness. Facial Expressions. Eye Contact. Body
- Positions And Use Of Space. Verbal Behavior And Selective Attention.
- 4.recognizing Communication Patterns. Ritualized Patterns Of
- Communication. Interactive Communication Patterns. Silence. 5.managing The
- Counseling Session. The First Interview. Objectives Of The First
- Interview. Cultural Variables And The First Interview. Counselor Responses
- That Encourage Client Expression. Counselor Responses That Solicit
- Information. Intake-interview Content. Using Intake-interview Information.
- Opening Subsequent Interviews. Terminating The Interview. Terminating The
- Counseling Relationship. 6.responding To Cognitive Content. Recognizing
- Alternatives. Responding To Alternatives. Verbal Responses To Cognitive
- Content. Differentiation And Selective Responding. 7.responding To
- Affective Content. The Importance Of Responding To Affective Content.
- Verbal And Nonverbal Cues Associated With Emotions. Types Of Affective
- Messages. Verbal Responses To Affective Contents. 8.differentiating
- Between Cognitive And Affective Messages. Setting The Stage For Affect.
- Types Of Differentiating Responses For Cognitive And Affective Content.
- Effects Of Responding To Affective Contents. Effects Of Responding To
- Cognitive Contents. The Differentiation Process In Cross-cultural
- Counseling. 9.conceptualizing Problems And Setting Goals. The Clients
- World. The Role Of The Counselor. Process And Outcome Goals. Culturally
- Appropriate Counseling Goals. Three Elements Of Good Outcome Goals.
- Translating Vague Concerns Into Specific Goals. Client Resistance To Goal
- Setting. Client Participation In Goal Setting. 10.using Counseling
- Strategies And Interventions. Working With Client Feelings. Working With
- Client Beliefs And Attitudes. Working With Client Behaviors. Working With
- Client Interactional Patterns And Relationships. Working With Client
- Social Systems. 11.receiving And Using Supervision, By Janine M. Bernard.
- The Parameters Of Supervision. The Focus Of Supervision. Styles Of
- Supervision. Methods Of Supervision. Avoiding Supervision. Putting Your
- Development As A Counselor In Perspective. Preparing For Supervision.
- Using Supervision. Appendix: Counseling Strategies Checklist. References.