With the new realities of global interconnectedness comes a greater awareness of cultural diversity from place to place. Besides differences in food and fashion, we face significant contrasts of cultural orientation and patterns of thinking. As we travel across cultures,...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
With the new realities of global interconnectedness comes a greater awareness of cultural diversity from place to place. Besides differences in food and fashion, we face significant contrasts of cultural orientation and patterns of thinking. As we travel across cultures, what should we expect? How do we deal with culture shock? And can we truly connect with those we meet?Experienced cross-cultural specialist Duane Elmer provides a compass for navigating through different cultures. He shows us how to avoid pitfalls and cultural faux pas, as well as how to make the most of opportunities to build cross-cultural relationships. Filled with real-life illustrations and practical exercises, this guide offers the tools needed to reduce apprehension, communicate effectively, and establish genuine trust and acceptance.Above all, Elmer demonstrates how we can avoid being cultural imperialists and instead become authentic ambassadors for Christ. Whether you are embarking on a short-term mission trip or traveling for business or pleasure, this book is both an ideal preparation and a handy companion for your journey.
Duane H. Elmer (Ph.D., Michigan State U.) is director of theDuane H. Elmer (Ph.D., Michigan State U.) is director of the Ph.D. program in educational studies and is the G. W. Aldee Ph.D. program in educational studies and is the G. W. Aldeen Chair of International Studies at Trinity Evangelical Divin Chair of International Studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. In addition to travelingnity School in Deerfield, Illinois. In addition to traveling and teaching in over 75 countries, he has provided cross-cu and teaching in over 75 countries, he has provided cross-cuC
- With The New Realities Of Global Interconnectedness Comes A Greater Awareness Of Cultural Diversity From Place To Place. Besides Differences In Food And Fashion, We Face Significant Contrasts Of Cultural Orientation And Patterns Of Thinking. As We Travel Across Cultures, What Should We Expect? How Do We Deal With Culture Shock? And Can We Truly Connect With Those We Meet?experienced Cross-cultural Specialist Duane Elmer Provides A Compass For Navigating Through Different Cultures. He Shows Us How To Avoid Pitfalls And Cultural Faux Pas, As Well As How To Make The Most Of Opportunities To Build Cross-cultural Relationships. Filled With Real-life Illustrations And Practical Exercises, This Guide Offers The Tools Needed To Reduce Apprehension, Communicate Effectively, And Establish Genuine Trust And Acceptance.above All, Elmer Demonstrates How We Can Avoid Being Cultural Imperialists And Instead Become Authentic Ambassadors For Christ. Whether You Are Embarking On A Short-term Mission Trip Or Traveling For Business Or Pleasure, This Book Is Both An Ideal Preparation And A Handy Companion For Your Journey.
- <strong>section 1: Getting A Perspective</strong>
- 1. Monkeys, Mission And Us
- 2. Your Part Of God's Story
- 3. Right, Wrong And Different
- <strong>section 2: Dealing With The New And Different</strong>
- 4. Culture Is Everywhere, And It Sneaks Up On You
- 5. Culture Shocks
- 6. Identifying Expectations
- 7. Square Heads And Round Heads
- 8. Cultural Adjustment Map
- <strong>section 3: Attitudes And Skills For Cultural Adjustment</strong>
- 9. Openness: How To Be Approachable
- 10. Acceptance: How To Be Positive
- 11. Trust: How To Build Strong Relationships
- 12. Skills For Cross-cultural Effectiveness
- <strong>section 4: Cultural Differences That Confuse</strong>
- 13. Time And Event
- 14. Task And Relationship
- 15. Individualism And Collectivism
- 16. Categorical And Holistic Thinking
- 17. Logic: Straight Or Curved
- 18. Achieved Status And Ascribed Status
- 19. Guilt And Shame
- 20. Worship Expression: From Low To High
- <strong>section 5: Returning Home</strong>
- 21: Re-entry: You Are Never The Same
- Selected Bibliography