Delivered From the Elements of the World
:In Delivered from the Elements of the World Peter Leithart reframes Anselm's question, "Why the God Man?" Instead he asks, "How can the death and resurrection of a Jewish rabbi of the first century ... be the decisive event in...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives. eBook is Available.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
:In Delivered from the Elements of the World Peter Leithart reframes Anselm's question, "Why the God Man?" Instead he asks, "How can the death and resurrection of a Jewish rabbi of the first century ... be the decisive event in the history of humanity, the hinge and crux and crossroads for everything?" With the question reframed for the wide screen, Leithart pursues the cultural and public settings and consequences of the cross and resurrection. He writes, "I hope to show that atonement theology must be social theory if it is going to have any coherence, relevance or comprehensibility at all."There are no small thoughts or cramped plot lines in this vision of the deep-down things of cross and culture. While much is recognizable as biblical theology projected along Pauline vectors, Leithart marshals a stunning array of discourse to crack open one of the big questions of Christian theology. This is a book on the atonement that eludes conventional categories, prods our theological imaginations and is sure to spark conversation and debate.
Peter J. Leithart (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is senior fellow of theology and literature at New St. Andrews College and pastor of Trinity Reformed Church in Moscow, Idaho. He is the author of a number of books, including A House for My Name: A Survey of the Old Testament; Against Christianity, Solomon among the Postmoderns; The Promise of his Appearing (2 Peter) and 1 and 2 Kings (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible). He is also a contributing editor for Touchstone
- :1. Atonement As Social Theory
- <strong>part I: Under The Elements Of The World</strong>
- 2. The Physics Of The Old Creation3. Among Gentiles: An Ancient Jewish Travelogue4. Flesh5. What Torah Does
- <strong>part Ii: Good News Of God's Justice</strong>
- 6. The Justice Of God7. The Faith Of Jesus Christ
- <strong>part Iii: Justification</strong>
- 8. Justified By The Faith Of Jesus9. Justified From The Elements
- <strong>part Iv: Contributions To A Theology Of Mission</strong>
- 10. In Ranks With The Spirit11. Outside The Christian Era12. Galatian Church, Galatian Age13. <em>cur Deus Homo?</em>
- Appendix 1: The Metaphysics Of Atonement: Natural And Supernaturalappendix 2: Nature, The Supernatural And Justificationappendix 3: Atonement By Deliverdict: Romansauthor Indexsubject Indexscripture Index