Encountering the New Testament : A Historical and Theological Survey (3rd Edition) (Encountering Biblical Studies Series)
Studying the New Testament can be an exciting--and intimidating--experience. This readable survey is designed to make the adventure less daunting and more rewarding. Two senior scholars offer a new edition of their bestselling and award-winning textbook, now with updated content...
Available Now.50+ Available
You may also like
Studying the New Testament can be an exciting--and intimidating--experience. This readable survey is designed to make the adventure less daunting and more rewarding. Two senior scholars offer a new edition of their bestselling and award-winning textbook, now with updated content and a new interior design. An accompanying website will offer a wide array of resources for students and professors.
Other distinguishing features include:
• abundant images, maps, and charts--all in full color
• sidebars addressing ethical/theological concerns and providing primary source material
• focus boxes isolating key issues
• chapter outlines, learning objectives, and summaries
• study and review questions
Students of the New Testament will find this introductory text both informative and engaging.
- Catalogue Code 368579
- Product Code 9780801039645
- ISBN 0801039649
- EAN 9780801039645
- Pages 448
- Department Academic
- Category Biblical Studies
- Sub-Category New Testament
- Publisher Baker Academic
- Publication Date May 2013
- Sales Rank 1864
- Dimensions 241 x 184 x 33mm
- Weight 1.258kg
Walter A. Elwell (Ph.D., University of Edinburgh) is emeritus professor of biblical and theological studies at Wheaton College. He has edited numerous biblical reference works, including the Baker Theological Dictionary of the Bible, The Evangelical Dictionary of Theology and Encountering the New Testament. Most recently he has edited The Hendrickson Topical Bible.
Robert W. Yarbrough (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is chair of the New Testament department and associate professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He has authored, coauthored, or translated a number of books, including the groundbreaking textbook Encountering the New Testament. He is also coeditor of the Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament series, completing the volume of 1-3 John himself, and is the author of the Pastoral Epistles (Pillar New Testament Commentary).
- <b>contents<br></b><br>to The Professor<br>to The Student<br>1. Why Study The New Testament?<br><b>part 1: Encountering Jesus And The Gospels<br></b>2. The Middle East In The Days Of Jesus<br>3. The Gospel And The Four Gospels<br>4. The Gospel Of Matthew: The Messiah Has Come!<br>5. The Gospel Of Mark: Son Of God, Servant Of All<br>6. The Gospel Of Luke: A Savior For All People<br>7. The Gospel Of John: Eternal Life Through His Name<br>8. Man From Galilee: The Life Of Jesus Christ<br>9. Lord, Teach Us: The Teaching Ministry Of Jesus Christ<br>10. Modern Approaches To The New Testament: Historical Criticism And Hermeneutics<br>11. The Modern Study Of The Gospels<br>12. The Modern Search For Jesus<br><b>part 2: Encountering Acts And The Earliest Church<br></b>13. The World And Identity Of The Earliest Church<br>14. Acts 1-7: The Earliest Days Of The Church<br>15. Acts 8-12: Salvation For Both Jew And Gentile<br>16. Acts 13-28: The Light Of Christ To The Ends Of The Earth<br><b>part 3: Encountering Paul And His Epistles<br></b>17. All Things To All People: Life And Teachings Of The Apostle Paul<br>18. Romans: Right With God<br>19. Corinthians And Galatians: Apostolic Counsel For Confused Churches<br>20. Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, And Philemon: Letters From Prison<br>21. Thessalonians, Timothy, And Titus: A Legacy Of Faithfulness<br><b>part 4: Encountering The General Epistles And The Apocalypse<br></b>22. Hebrews And James: Maintaining Full Commitment To Christ<br>23. Peter, John, And Jude: A Call To Faith, Hope, And Love<br>24. Revelation: God Is In Control!<br>epilogue: Matters To Ponder<br>glossary<br>indexes