Encountering the Old Testament (3rd Edition) (Encountering Biblical Studies Series)
This unique Old Testament survey features fully updated, first-rate scholarship, enhanced by plentiful images, maps, and charts, all in full colour. The educational helps include chapter outlines and summaries, further reading lists, primary source sidebars, and links to web-based resources....
Available Now.50+ Available
You may also like
This unique Old Testament survey features fully updated, first-rate scholarship, enhanced by plentiful images, maps, and charts, all in full colour. The educational helps include chapter outlines and summaries, further reading lists, primary source sidebars, and links to web-based resources. 560 pages, from Baker.
:This new edition of a bestselling evangelical survey of the Old Testament (over 180,000 copies sold) has been thoroughly updated and features a beautiful new interior design. It is lavishly illustrated with four-color images, maps, and charts and retains the pedagogical features that have made the book so popular:
· chapter outlines, objectives, and summaries
· study questions
· sidebars featuring primary source material, ethical and theological issues, and contemporary applications
· lists of key terms, people, and places
· further reading recommendations
· endnotes and indexes
The book is supplemented by web-based resources through Baker Academic's Textbook eSources, offering course help for professors and study aids for students.
- Catalogue Code 421011
- Product Code 9780801049538
- ISBN 0801049539
- EAN 9780801049538
- Pages 560
- Department Academic
- Category Biblical Studies
- Sub-Category Old Testament
- Publisher Baker Academic
- Publication Date Aug 2015
- Sales Rank 2359
- Dimensions 241 x 184 x 38mm
- Weight 1.558kg
Bill T. Arnold (PhD, Hebrew Union College) is professor of Old Testament and Semitic languages at Asbury Theological Seminary. He is the author or editor of numerous books, including Encountering the Book of Genesis, Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books, A Guide to Biblical Hebrew Syntax, and a commentary on 1 and 2 Samuel. Bryan E. Beyer (PhD, Hebrew Union College) is professor of Old Testament at Columbia International University Seminary and School of Missions. He is the author of Encountering the Book of Isaiah and coeditor (with Bill Arnold) of Readings from the Ancient Near
Bill T. Arnold (Ph.D., Hebrew Union College) is Professor of Old Testament and Semitic Languages, William Edmond Conger, Jr. Professor of Academic Leadership, and Director of Hebrew Studies at Asbury Theological Seminary. He has written or edited numerous books books, including 1-2 Samuel (New International Version Application Commentary), Encountering the Old Testament; Encountering Genesis; A Guide to Biblical Hebrew Syntax, Genesis (New Cambridge Bible Commentary) and the Book of Deuteronomy (replacement volume- New International Commentary of the Old Testament).
Koorong - Editorial Review.
- :<b>contents<br></b><br>preface To The Third Edition<br>preface To The Second Edition<br>to The Professor<br>to The Student<br>1. What Is The Old Testament And Why Study It?<br>2. Where And When Did The Events Of The Old Testament Take Place?<br><b>part 1: Encountering The Pentateuch<br></b>3. Introduction To The Pentateuch: The Birth Of God's People<br>4. Genesis 1-11: The Prelude To Israel<br>5. Genesis 12-50: The Patriarchs: Ancestors Of Israel's Faith<br>6. Exodus: A Miraculous Escape<br>7. Leviticus: Instructions For Holy Living<br>8. Numbers: Failure In The Desert<br>9. Deuteronomy: Restoring The Covenant<br><b>part 2: Encountering The Historical Books<br></b>10. Introduction To The Historical Books: The History Of Israel's Nationhood<br>11. Joshua: Conquest And Division<br>12. Judges And Ruth: Israel's Moral Crisis<br>13. First Samuel: God Grants A King<br>14. Second Samuel: David's Reign<br>15. First Kings: The Glory Of Solomon And The Beginning Of The End<br>16. Second Kings: The End Of National Israel<br>17. First And Second Chronicles: A Look Back<br>18. Ezra, Nehemiah, And Esther: A Time To Rebuild<br><b>part 3: Encountering The Poetical Books<br></b>19. Introduction To The Poetical Books: The Literature Of God's People<br>20. Job: One Man's Search For Justice<br>21. Psalms: The Songbook Of Ancient Israel<br>22. Proverbs: Advice On Living In God's World<br>23. Ecclesiastes And Song Of Songs: Israelite Faith In Everyday Life<br><b>part 4: Encountering The Prophets<br></b>24. Introduction To The Prophets: Voices Of God's Servants<br>25. Isaiah 1-39: Prophet Of Judah's Royal Court<br>26. Isaiah 40-66: Great Days Are Coming!<br>27. Jeremiah 1-20: Struggling With God's Call<br>28. Jeremiah 21-52 And Lamentations: Dealing With Disaster<br>29. Ezekiel 1-24: Rough Days Are Coming!<br>30. Ezekiel 25-48: God Is Planning An Exciting Future!<br>31. Daniel: The Kingdom Of God--now And Forever<br>32. Hosea, Joel, And Amos: A Call For Repentance And A Promise For Blessing<br>33. Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, And Zephaniah: God's Plan For The Nations<br>34. Haggai, Zechariah, And Malachi: Rebuilding A People<br>epilogue: A Final Word<br>indexes