Faith Has Its Reasons
Ever since the apostle Paul addressed the Stoic and Epicurean philosophers in Athens, relating the Christian worldview to a non-Christian world has been a challenge. And despite Peter's charge to be ready to make a defense to everyone who asks...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 4 to 5 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
Ever since the apostle Paul addressed the Stoic and Epicurean philosophers in Athens, relating the Christian worldview to a non-Christian world has been a challenge. And despite Peter's charge to be ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you (1 Peter 3:15), most Christian laypeople have left apologetics—the defense of the faith—to the ecclesiastical pros. Faith Has Its Reasons is a study of four different models of how apologetics should be done, an assessment of their strengths and weaknesses, and a proposal for integrating the best insights of each. Kenneth Boa and Robert Bowman have assembled a wealth of information about what Christians believe and how to present that faith to an unbelieving world. Remarkable both in its depth of content and ease of accessibility, Faith Has Its Reasons gives Christian laypeople the tools to address such critical questions as:
Why is belief in God rational despite the prevalence of evil in the world?
What facts support the church's testimony that Jesus rose from the dead?
Can we be certain Christianity is true?
How can our faith in Christ be based on something more secure than our own understanding without descending into an irrational emotionalism?
Kenneth D. Boa (Ph.D., New York University; D.Phil., University of Oxford in England) is engaged in a ministry of relational evangelism and discipleship, teaching, writing, and speaking.
Dr. Boa is the President of Reflections Ministries, an organization that seeks to encourage, teach, and equip people to know Christ, follow Him, become progressively conformed to His image, and reproduce His life in others. He is also President of Trinity House Publishers, a publishing company that is dedicated to the creation of tools that will help people manifest eternal values in a temporal arena by drawing them to intimacy with God and a better understanding of the culture in which they live.
Recent publications by Dr. Boa include Conformed to His Image; 20 Compelling Evidences that God Exists; Face to Face; Augustine to Freud; Faith Has its Reasons; and God, I Dont Understand. He is a contributing editor to The Open Bible and the consulting editor of the Zondervan NASB Study Bible.
Robert M. Bowman Jr. (Ph.D. candidate, Westminster Theological Seminary) is the manager of the Apologetics & Interfaith Evangelism department of the North American Mission Board (http://www.4truth.net). For five years he was a lecturer in the M.A. in Christian Apologetics program at Biola University. He is the author of eleven other books, including Why You Should Believe in the Trinity and (with Kenneth D. Boa) the Gold Medallion Award winning book Faith Has Its Reasons and most recently Putting Jesus in his place: a case for the deity of Christ
- Part One: What Is Apologetics?
- 1 Defining Apologetics
- 2 A Brief History Of Apologetics
- 3 Issues And Methods In Apologetics
- Part Two: Classical Apologetics: It Stands To Reason
- 4 Apologists Who Emphasize Reason
- 5 Classical Apologetics: A Reasonable Faith
- 6 The Rationality Of The Christian Worldview
- 7 Apologetics And The Limits Of Reason
- Part Three: Evidentialist Apologetics: Just The Facts
- 8 Apologists Who Emphasize Fact
- 9 Evidentialist Apologetics: Faith Founded On Fact
- 10 Presenting Evidence That Demands A Verdict
- 11 Apologetics And The Interpretation Of Fact
- Part Four: Reformed Apologetics: God Said It
- 12 Apologists Who Emphasize Revelation
- 13 Reformed Apologetics: Christianity In Conflict
- 14 Taking Every Thought Captive
- 15 Apologetics And The Authority Of Revelation
- Part Five: Fideist Apologetics: By Faith Alone
- 16 Apologists Who Emphasize Faith
- 17 Fideist Apologetics: Reasons Of The Heart
- 18 Calling People To Encounter God In Jesus Christ
- 19 Apologetics And The Subjectivity Of Faith
- Part Six: Integrative Approaches To Apologetics
- 20 Apologists Who Favor Integration
- 21 Contending For The Faith: Apologetics And Human Knowledge
- 22 Reasons For Hope: Integrating Diverse Arguments In Apologetics
- 23 Speaking The Truth In Love: Perspectives On Apologetics
- Appendix: Categorizing Apologetic Methods
- List Of Tables And Charts
- Name Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index