:In our quest to renew the church, Christians have walked through seeker-friendly, emergent, missional, and other movements to develop new expressions of the body of Christ. Now in the post-Christian world in North America we're asking the question again: is...
In Stock6 available
You May Also Like
:In our quest to renew the church, Christians have walked through seeker-friendly, emergent, missional, and other movements to develop new expressions of the body of Christ. Now in the post-Christian world in North America we're asking the question again: is there a way to be the church that engages the world, not by judgment nor accommodation but by becoming the good news in our culture? In Faithful Presence, noted pastor and scholar David Fitch offers a new vision for the witness of the church in the world. He argues that we have lost the intent and practice of the sacramental ways of the historic church, and he recovers seven disciplines that have been with us since the birth of the church. Through numerous examples and stories, he demonstrates how these revolutionary disciplines can help the church take shape in and among our neighborhoods, transform our way of life in the world, and advance the kingdom.This book will help you re-envision church, what you do in the name of church, and the way you lead a church. It recovers a future for the church that takes us beyond Christendom. Embrace the call to reimagine the church as the living embodiment of Christ, dwelling in and reflecting God's faithful presence to a world that desperately needs more of it.
David Fitch (Ph.D., Northwestern University) is pastor of Life on the Vine Christian Community of the Christian and Missionary Alliance in Long Grove, Illinois, and is adjunct professor of ministry, theology, and ethics at Northern Seminary.
- :introduction: Searching For The Real Church
- <strong>part I: God's Faithful Presence</strong>
- 1. God's Faithful Presence2. To Change The World
- <strong>part Ii: The Seven Disciplines</strong>
- 3. The Discipline Of The Lord's Table4. The Discipline Of Reconciliation5. The Discipline Of Proclaiming The Gospel6. The Discipline Of Being With The "least Of These"7. The Discipline Of Being With Children8. The Discipline Of The Fivefold Gifting9. The Discipline Of Kingdom Prayer
- Epilogue: How God Changes The Worldacknowledgmentsappendix 1: What Formation Looks Like Around The Tableappendix 2: The Indispensible Role Of The Dotted Circle In The Disciplinesappendix 3: Extending The Presence: An Alternative Basis For Ecclesiology And Missionappendix 4:where Is The Church? A Closer Look At Matthew 25notes