From Burned Out to Beloved
As a social worker, jail chaplain, and justice advocate, Bethany Dearborn Hiser pushed herself to the brink of burnout-and then kept going. Stress, despair, and compassion fatigue overwhelmed her ability to function. She was called to serve the abused, addicted,...
You May Also Like
As a social worker, jail chaplain, and justice advocate, Bethany Dearborn Hiser pushed herself to the brink of burnout-and then kept going. Stress, despair, and compassion fatigue overwhelmed her ability to function. She was called to serve the abused, addicted, and homeless people in her community. Yet she was emotionally and spiritually exhausted. Something needed to change. Searching for answers, Hiser learned that trauma affects everyone who is exposed to it-not only those experiencing it firsthand. Psychologists call it "secondary trauma." She realized that she needed the very soul care that she was providing to others. From Burned Out to Beloved is Hiser's story of burnout, self-discovery, and spiritual renewal. But more than that, it's a trauma-informed soul care guide for all Christians working in high-stress, helping professions. Whether you're a social worker, therapist, pastor, teacher, or healthcare professional, From Burned Out to Beloved will equip you to confess your limitations, embrace your identity as a beloved child of God, and flourish in your vocation.
Bethany Dearborn Hiser is the director of soul care for Northwest Family Life, a network of therapists trained to work with survivors of domestic violence and sexual trauma. As a bilingual social worker, chaplain, and pastoral advocate, Hiser has worked in a variety of ministry and social service settings with people affected by addiction, sexual exploitation, incarceration, and immigration. She and her husband, Kenny, live in Seattle with their two young children.
- As A Social Worker, Jail Chaplain, And Justice Advocate, Bethany Dearborn Hiser Pushed Herself To The Brink Of Burnout-and Then Kept Going. Stress, Despair, And Compassion Fatigue Overwhelmed Her Ability To Function. She Was Called To Serve The Abused, Addicted, And Homeless People In Her Community. Yet She Was Emotionally And Spiritually Exhausted. Something Needed To Change. Searching For Answers, Hiser Learned That Trauma Affects Everyone Who Is Exposed To It-not Only Those Experiencing It Firsthand. Psychologists Call It "secondary Trauma." She Realized That She Needed The Very Soul Care That She Was Providing To Others. From Burned Out To Beloved Is Hiser's Story Of Burnout, Self-discovery, And Spiritual Renewal. But More Than That, It's A Trauma-informed Soul Care Guide For All Christians Working In High-stress, Helping Professions. Whether You're A Social Worker, Therapist, Pastor, Teacher, Or Healthcare Professional, From Burned Out To Beloved Will Equip You To Confess Your Limitations, Embrace Your Identity As A Beloved Child Of God, And Flourish In Your Vocation.
- <strong>part One: Centering</strong>
- 1. Trauma-informed Soul Care
- 2. Living As Beloved
- 3. Wounded Healers
- <strong>part Two: Unpacking</strong>
- 4. Secondary Trauma
- 5. Codependency In The Workplace
- 6. Needs And Desires
- 7. False Beliefs
- <strong>part Three: Recovering</strong>
- 8. Identifying Stages Of Change
- 9. Moving From Shame To Self-empathy
- 10. Embracing Our Need For Others
- 11. Changing Beliefs And Behaviors
- <strong>part Four: Thriving</strong>
- 12. Discerning To Say No And Yes
- 13. Creating Rhythms Of Rest And Renewal
- 14. Living In Joy
- Appendix: Grounding Practices
- Appendix: Listening Prayer Exercises