From Research to Teaching
It's a long way from the research carrel to the classroom. No matter your personality, your prior experience, or the specifics of your situation, the transition from graduate studies to teaching involves a set of challenges for which no one...
You May Also Like
It's a long way from the research carrel to the classroom. No matter your personality, your prior experience, or the specifics of your situation, the transition from graduate studies to teaching involves a set of challenges for which no one is ever fully prepared. In this practical guide Michael Kibbe, author of From Topic to Thesis, provides a helpful companion for the journey. With plenty of personal examples and tested advice, Kibbe covers preparation for teaching, best practices in the classroom, self-evaluation, and the discovery of your mission and method. He also reflects on the spiritual lives of professors, including social media practices, Sabbath, and relationships. From Research to Teaching is the concise, accessible resource every new and aspiring professor needs.
Michael Kibbe (PhD, Wheaton College) is assistant professor of Bible at Moody Bible Institute-Spokane in Spokane, Washington, where he teaches Greek and hermeneutics. He is the author of Godly Fear or Ungodly Failure? Hebrews 12 and the Sinai Theophanies and has published articles in the Journal of Theological Studies, Biblica, the Journal of Theological Interpretation and the Journal for the Study of Paul and His Letters. His research interests include the Epistle to the Hebrews, the use of the Old Testament in the New, the doctrine of the atonement, theological exegesis, Second Corinthians a
- It's A Long Way From The Research Carrel To The Classroom. No Matter Your Personality, Your Prior Experience, Or The Specifics Of Your Situation, The Transition From Graduate Studies To Teaching Involves A Set Of Challenges For Which No One Is Ever Fully Prepared. In This Practical Guide Michael Kibbe, Author Of From Topic To Thesis, Provides A Helpful Companion For The Journey. With Plenty Of Personal Examples And Tested Advice, Kibbe Covers Preparation For Teaching, Best Practices In The Classroom, Self-evaluation, And The Discovery Of Your Mission And Method. He Also Reflects On The Spiritual Lives Of Professors, Including Social Media Practices, Sabbath, And Relationships. From Research To Teaching Is The Concise, Accessible Resource Every New And Aspiring Professor Needs.
- <strong>part 1: What Teachers Must Do</strong>
- 1. Before The Classroom: Preparation
- 2. In The Classroom: Execution
- 3. After The Classroom: Reflection
- <strong>part 2: What Teachers Must Know</strong>
- 4. Mission And Method
- 5. Community
- 6. Limitations
- 7. Effects
- Appendix A: Using Your Dissertation In The Classroom
- Appendix B: A Plea To Graduate Schools
- Appendix C: Great Teaching Resources