Grasping God's Word (3rd Edition)
Following a middle path between technical detail and concise simplicity, this user-friendly resource helps readers get a grip on the solid rock of Scripture - how to read it, how to interpret it, and how to apply it. This is...
In Stock (60 left)50+ Available
You may also like
Following a middle path between technical detail and concise simplicity, this user-friendly resource helps readers get a grip on the solid rock of Scripture - how to read it, how to interpret it, and how to apply it. This is a book for all those who are serious about gaining a mature understanding of God's Word. 464 pages, from Zondervan.
Grasping God's Word has proven itself in classrooms across the country as an invaluable help to students who want to learn how to read, interpret, and apply the Bible for themselves. The third edition, revised based on feedback from professors, will continue to serve college-level students and lay learners well in their quest to gain a firm grasp on the rock of God's word. Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays and New Testament expert J. Scott Duvall provide practical, hands-on exercises to guide students through the interpretive process. To emphasize the Bible's redemptive arc and encourage correlation across the canon, the authors have included a call to 'cross into the rest of Scripture' as an additional step in the Interpretive Journey. This edition has also been rearranged for clarity and includes updated illustrations, appendices, bibliography, and assignments. A website for professors offers extensive teaching materials, and an accompanying revised workbook (Grasping God's Word Workbook---sold separately) gives students additional practice in reading and interpreting the Bible.
Scott Duvall (Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the co-author with George H. Guthrie of Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek and with Terry G.Carter and J. Daniel Hays of the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon and also Grasping God's Word; Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy and End Times and Journey into God's Word.. His most recent pubication is Experiencing God's Story of Life and Hope.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
J. Daniel Hays ( PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Elma Cobb Professor of Biblical Studies and chair of the Department of Biblical Studies at Ouachita Baptist University, where his educational specialty is Old Testament and biblical interpretation. He has published articles in Bible Review and Bibliotheca Sacra, as well as in the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, and with Terry G.Carter and J. Daniel Hays the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon and also Grasping God's Word; Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy and End Times and Journey into God's Word.
- Preface To The Second Edition
- Preface To The First Edition
- Part 1: How To Read The Book---basic Tools
- 1. Bible Translations [previously Chapter 9]
- 2. The Interpretive Journey
- 3. How To Read The Book---sentences
- 4. How To Read The Book---paragraphs
- 5. How To Read The Book---discourses
- Part 2: Contexts---now And Then
- 6. The Historical-cultural Context
- 7. What Do We Bring To The Text?
- 8. The Literary Context
- 9. Word Studies
- Part 3: Meaning And Application
- 10. Who Controls The Meaning?
- 11. Levels Of Meaning
- 12. The Role Of The Holy Spirit
- 13. Application
- Part 4: The Interpretive Journey---new Testament
- 14. New Testament---letters
- 15. New Testament---gospels
- 16. New Testament---acts
- 17. New Testament---revelation
- Part 5: The Interpretive Journey---old Testament
- 18. Old Testament---narrative
- 19. Old Testament---law
- 20. Old Testament---poetry
- 21. Old Testament---prophets
- 22. Old Testament---wisdom
- Appendix 1: Inspiration And Canon
- Appendix 2: Writing An Exegetical Paper
- Appendix 3: Building A Personal Library [replace With Website?]
- Scripture Index
- Subject Index