Grasping God's Word Workbook (Zondervan Academic Course Dvd Study Series)
The widely used Grasping God's Word , now in a revised third edition, teaches the foundational principles and tools of biblical interpretation. J. Scott Duvall, who specializes in New Testament studies, and Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays survey numerous...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
The widely used Grasping God's Word, now in a revised third edition, teaches the foundational principles and tools of biblical interpretation. J. Scott Duvall, who specializes in New Testament studies, and Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays survey numerous biblical passages, demonstrating solid interpretive strategies for understanding the Bible. This workbook is designed to use alongside the Grasping God's Word textbook, following its structure with activities that offer additional practice for all the elements of faithful scholarship as they are presented. College-level students and other serious learners will have the opportunity to try out their interpretive skills by applying them to specific genres and contexts. Both Grasping God's Word and Grasping God's Word Workbook treat Scripture as the solid rock of Christian faith, one that students will grip more easily when they know how to read it, how to interpret it, and how to apply it.
Scott Duvall (Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the co-author with George H. Guthrie of Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek and with Terry G.Carter and J. Daniel Hays of the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon and also Grasping God's Word; Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy and End Times and Journey into God's Word.. His most recent pubication is Experiencing God's Story of Life and Hope.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
J. Daniel Hays ( PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Elma Cobb Professor of Biblical Studies and chair of the Department of Biblical Studies at Ouachita Baptist University, where his educational specialty is Old Testament and biblical interpretation. He has published articles in Bible Review and Bibliotheca Sacra, as well as in the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, and with Terry G.Carter and J. Daniel Hays the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon and also Grasping God's Word; Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy and End Times and Journey into God's Word.
- <p>the Widely Used <em>grasping God's Word</em>, Now In A Revised Third Edition, Teaches The Foundational Principles And Tools Of Biblical Interpretation. J. Scott Duvall, Who Specializes In New Testament Studies, And Old Testament Scholar J. Daniel Hays Survey Numerous Biblical Passages, Demonstrating Solid Interpretive Strategies For Understanding The Bible. This Workbook Is Designed To Use Alongside The <em>grasping God's Word</em> Textbook, Following Its Structure With Activities That Offer Additional Practice For All The Elements Of Faithful Scholarship As They Are Presented. College-level Students And Other Serious Learners Will Have The Opportunity To Try Out Their Interpretive Skills By Applying Them To Specific Genres And Contexts. Both <em>grasping God's Word</em> And <em>grasping God's Word Workbook</em> Treat Scripture As The Solid Rock Of Christian Faith, One That Students Will Grip More Easily When They Know How To Read It, How To Interpret It, And How To Apply It.</p>
- Preface To The Second Edition
- Preface To The First Edition
- Part 1: How To Read The Book---basic Tools
- 1. Bible Translations [previously Chapter 9]
- 2. The Interpretive Journey
- 3. How To Read The Book---sentences
- 4. How To Read The Book---paragraphs
- 5. How To Read The Book---discourses
- Part 2: Contexts---now And Then
- 6. The Historical-cultural Context
- 7. What Do We Bring To The Text?
- 8. The Literary Context
- 9. Word Studies
- Part 3: Meaning And Application
- 10. Who Controls The Meaning?
- 11. Levels Of Meaning
- 12. The Role Of The Holy Spirit
- 13. Application
- Part 4: The Interpretive Journey---new Testament
- 14. New Testament---letters
- 15. New Testament---gospels
- 16. New Testament---acts
- 17. New Testament---revelation
- Part 5: The Interpretive Journey---old Testament
- 18. Old Testament---narrative
- 19. Old Testament---law
- 20. Old Testament---poetry
- 21. Old Testament---prophets
- 22. Old Testament---wisdom
- Appendix 1: Inspiration And Canon
- Appendix 2: Writing An Exegetical Paper
- Appendix 3: Building A Personal Library [replace With Website?]
- Scripture Index
- Subject Index