Images of Salvation in the New Testament
What does salvation in the New Testament look like? ^^"The New Testament does not develop a systematic doctrine of salvation," writes Brenda Colijn. "Instead, it presents us with a variety of pictures taken from different perspectives. From one angle,...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship August 2020.
You may also like
What does salvation in the New Testament look like?
^^"The New Testament does not develop a systematic doctrine of salvation," writes Brenda Colijn. "Instead, it presents us with a variety of pictures taken from different perspectives. From one angle, the human predicament is rebellion against God. Salvation looks like living under God's universal reign. From another angle, the human predicament is bondage to both internal and external forces. Salvation looks like freedom from those forces. From yet a third angle, the human predicament looks like alienation from God, from other people, from creation and even from one's own best self. Salvation looks like the restoration of those relationships."
^^Colijn, who holds degrees in English literature as well as theology, embraces a critical-realist methodology that incorporates New Testament theology, literary criticism and theological interpretation. She advocates listening to the individual authors of Scripture in their own social-cultural and historical settings, while looking for how the texts work both individually and collectively at a literary level.
^^Students of the New Testament and of theology will both find their vision broadened and their understanding deepened by this rich, informative study. As the author seeks to understand their implications for people of faith, she uncovers how New Testament images provide the building blocks of the master story of redemption^
Brenda B. Colijn (Ph.D., Cornell University) is professor of biblical interpretation and theology at Ashland Theological Seminary in Ashland Ohio. She is the author of Images of Salvation in the New Testament and the forthcoming Fully Human, Fully Divine: An InteractiveChristology with Michael Casey.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- 1. On Method
- 2. Inheritance In The New Covenant
- 3. Citizens Of The Kingdom, Disciples Of The King
- 4. The Life Of The Age To Come: Eternal Life
- 5. I Am About To Do A New Thing: Regeneration, New Creation
- 6. Deliverance Belongs To The Lord: Soteria As Rescue Healing
- 7. My Chains Fell Off, My Heart Was Free: Redemption, Ransom, Freedom, Forgiveness
- 8. No Longer Strangers: Reconciliation, Adoption, Peace
- 9. Justification By Faith(fulness)
- 10. Election In Christ For The Sake Of The World
- 11. Transformation By Participation: Being In Christ, Glorification, Theosis
- 12. A People Holy To The Lord: Sanctification, Perfection
- 13. Call To Endurance: Pilgrimage, Contest, Worship
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index