Is Reality Secular?
What is the nature of reality?At the root of our society's deepest political and cultural divisions are the conflicting principles of four global worldviews. While each of us holds to some version of one of these worldviews, we are often...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
What is the nature of reality?At the root of our society's deepest political and cultural divisions are the conflicting principles of four global worldviews. While each of us holds to some version of one of these worldviews, we are often unconscious of their differences as well as their underlying assumptions. Mary Poplin argues that the ultimate test of a worldview, philosophy or ideology is whether it corresponds with reality. Since different perspectives conflict with each other, how do we make sense of the differences? And if a worldview system accurately reflects reality, what implications does that have for our thinking and living?In this wide-ranging and perceptive study, Poplin examines four major worldviews: naturalism, humanism, pantheism and Judeo-Christian theism. She explores the fundamental assumptions of each, pressing for limitations. Ultimately she puts each perspective to the test, asking, what if this worldview is true? If reality is secular, that means something for how we orient our lives. But if reality is not best explained by secular perspectives, that would mean something quite different. Consider for yourself what is the fundamental substance of reality.
Mary Poplin (Ph.D., University of Texas) is a professor of education at Claremont Graduate University in California, where she has served as director of the teacher education program and dean of the School of Educational Studies. Poplin conducts research inside urban classrooms and schools that promote both justice and accountability. She teaches courses on pedagogy, history and philosophy of education, as well as Christian principles related to these areas. She is also a frequent speaker at Veritas Forums and for both Protestant and Catholic retreats across the country. She is the author of the book Finding Calcutta, a recounting of the time she spent serving with Mother Theresa.
- What Is The Nature Of Reality?at The Root Of Our Society's Deepest Political And Cultural Divisions Are The Conflicting Principles Of Four Global Worldviews. While Each Of Us Holds To Some Version Of One Of These Worldviews, We Are Often Unconscious Of Their Differences As Well As Their Underlying Assumptions. Mary Poplin Argues That The Ultimate Test Of A Worldview, Philosophy Or Ideology Is Whether It Corresponds With Reality. Since Different Perspectives Conflict With Each Other, How Do We Make Sense Of The Differences? And If A Worldview System Accurately Reflects Reality, What Implications Does That Have For Our Thinking And Living?in This Wide-ranging And Perceptive Study, Poplin Examines Four Major Worldviews: Naturalism, Humanism, Pantheism And Judeo-christian Theism. She Explores The Fundamental Assumptions Of Each, Pressing For Limitations. Ultimately She Puts Each Perspective To The Test, Asking, What If This Worldview Is True? If Reality Is Secular, That Means Something For How We Orient Our Lives. But If Reality Is Not Best Explained By Secular Perspectives, That Would Mean Something Quite Different. Consider For Yourself What Is The Fundamental Substance Of Reality.
- Part 1: Is Reality Secular?
- 1 Truth And Consequences
- 2 Confessions Of A Professor
- 3 Worldviews As Operating Systems Of The Mind
- 4 Tracing History Up To Now
- Part 2: Naturalism
- 5 Everything Is A Thing
- 6 Science As The Only Truth
- 7 The Purposeless Universe Emerged From Nothing
- 8 No Miracles Allowed
- 9 The Ethics Of Things Upon Things
- 10 Countering God As Creator
- Part 3: Humanism
- 11 Man Makes Himself And His World
- 12 Radical Individual Freedom
- 13 Varieties Of Secular Humanism
- 14 Principles Of Secular And Christian Psychology
- 15 Finding Moral Truth In Human Dialogue
- 16 Exorcising Sin
- 17 Contesting Jesus As Divine
- Part 4: Pantheism
- 18 Immanence - The Spirit Within Us
- 19 To Eliminate Suffering, Jettison Desire
- 20 Pantheism’s Many Faces
- 21 Western Pantheism - Spiritual, Not Religious
- 22 Spiritual Transactions In People, Nature And Nations
- 23 Contesting The Holy Spirit
- Part 5: What If Judeo-christianity Is True?
- 24 A Wider Rationality
- 25 The Triune God
- 26 Jesus, Perfect God/man: Redeemer Of Man And The World
- 27 Signposts Of Reality