Israel in the Biblical Period
After a radical assessment of the nature of the sources and the problems of using them historically, the author discusses the origin of monotheism and Israel's belief in its one God. Then follow accounts of the three most important features...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 7 to 8 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
After a radical assessment of the nature of the sources and the problems of using them historically, the author discusses the origin of monotheism and Israel's belief in its one God. Then follow accounts of the three most important features in Israelite religion* the Jerusalem temple and its worship, the covenant, and sacrifices. The main festivals are discussed, together with chapters on the Sabbath and the new moon, the sabbatical year and the year of jubilee, and the calendar. The book ends with an account of changes brought about after the exile and the development of Middle Judaism, and the collapse of the old Israelite system of worship after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE.
Though firmly based on biblical and Near Eastern texts and artifacts, the book wears its learning lightly; there are no footnotes, but a bibliography of books for further reading. Its clarity and straightforward approach make it an ideal introduction to the subject for students.
The Revd Dr. John Bowden is the former Editor and Managing Director of SCM Press. He is the author of several books and articles, and has translated numerous religious books from German, French, and Dutch.
J. Alberto Soggin is Professor Emeritus of Old Testament at the Waldensian Faculty of Theology and Professor Emeritus of Hebrew at La Sapienza University in Rome.
- The Traditional Versions Of The Origins Of Israel And Monotheism
- The Context - Syria And Canaan At The End Of The Second Millenium Bce
- The Deuteronomistic History
- The State Of The Question
- Polytheism In Ancient Israel?
- The Sanctuaries - The Jerusalem Temple
- Other Relevant Elements - The Covenant
- Other Relevant Elements: The Cult And Sacrifices
- Festivals And Holy Days: The Feast Of Weeks
- Festivals And Holy Days - The Great Autumn Festival
- Festivals And Holy Days - Purim And Hanukkah
- Festivals And Holy Days - The Sabbath And New Moon
- Festivals And Holy Days - The Sabbatical Year And The Year Of Jubilee
- Festivals And Holy Days - The Calendar
- Middle Judaism Between The First Millenium Bce And The First Millenium Ce
- Judaism After The Catastrophe.