Jesus, Paul & the End of the World
More than eighty years ago Albert Schweitzer posed a question of enduring debate for New Testament scholarship. Did Jesus--and later Paul--believe that the apocalyptic kingdom of God was about to appear, bringing an end to this world? Indeed, what were...
UnavailableOut of Print
You may also like
More than eighty years ago Albert Schweitzer posed a question of enduring debate for New Testament scholarship. Did Jesus--and later Paul--believe that the apocalyptic kingdom of God was about to appear, bringing an end to this world? Indeed, what were the eschatological teachings of Jesus and Paul? Is there any appreciable continuity between the two?
Ben Witherington takes a hard look at the Gospel texts and makes a thorough and critical assessment of Paul's eschatology. For each topic examined--the language of imminence, the dominion of God, the community of Christ, the Israel of God, the day of the Lord and the resurrection of the dead--he compares and contrasts Jesus and Paul. The result is an important contribution to our understanding of New Testament eschatology.
With the second millennium ended and world events sparking the speculations of popular religious imaginations, Witherington provides a timely and sober re-examination of a topic too long neglected by serious scholarship.
IntroductionPart One: The Language of Imminence1. Paul, Jesus and the Language of Imminence2. Between Daybreak and Day: The Pauline Evidence3. Dawn's First Light: The Evidence from Jesus' Teaching4. The Origin of an OrientationPart Two: The Dominion of God5. The Reign of the Regent: Paul and the Basileia tou Theou6. The Realm of Possibilities: Jesus and the Basileia tou Theou7. ConclusionsPart Three: The Community of Christ8. Introduction9. Paul and the Body of Christ10. Jesus and the Foundation Stones11. ConclusionsPart Four: Paul, Jesus and the Israel of God12. Introduction13. Paul and the Plight of His People14. Jesus and the Jews' Just Due15. ConclusionsPart Five: The Day of the Lord16. Introduction17. Perusing the Parousia: The Pauline Evidence18. Future Shock: Jesus on the Coming Son of Man19. ConclusionsPart Six: The Resurrection of the Dead20. Introduction21. Body Language: Paul and the Resurrection22. Before and Afterlife: Jesus and the Resurrection23. ConclusionsPart Seven: Jesus, Paul and the End of the World24. The Eschatological Schema25. The Future of a Future in a Modern WorldAppendix: Old Testament ProphecyNotesBibliographyIndex
Ben Witherington III (Ph.D., University of Durham, England) is Amos Professor of New Testament for Doctoral Studies at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky, and is on the doctoral faculty at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland
He is the author of many books on the New Testament, including Women and the Genesis of Christianity (Cambridge University Press); Jesus the Sage (Fortress Press); The Jesus Quest (InterVarsity Press) and The Paul Quest (InterVarsity Press). With Hershel Shanks he is coauthor of The Brother of Jesus (HarperSanFrancisco), a book on the controversial James ossuary. A frequent contributor to Beliefnet.com, Witherington has also appeared on numerous TV news programs such as Dateline, 60 Minutes, 20/20 and the Peter Jennings ABC special Jesus and Paul--The Word and the Witness.
Dr Witherington has written a commentary on every book of the New Testament in a wide variety of series.
- <strong>part One: The Language Of Imminence</strong>
- 1. Paul, Jesus And The Language Of Imminence
- 2. Between Daybreak And Day: The Pauline Evidence
- 3. Dawn’s First Light: The Evidence From Jesus’ Teaching
- 4. The Origin Of An Orientation
- <strong>part Two: The Dominion Of God</strong>
- 5. The Reign Of The Regent: Paul And The <em>basileia Tou Theou</em>
- 6. The Realm Of Possibilities: Jesus And The <em>basileia Tou Theou</em>
- 7. Conclusions
- <strong>part Three: The Community Of Christ</strong>
- 8. Introduction
- 9. Paul And The Body Of Christ
- 10. Jesus And The Foundation Stones
- 11. Conclusions
- <strong>part Four: Paul, Jesus And The Israel Of God</strong>
- 12. Introduction
- 13. Paul And The Plight Of His People
- 14. Jesus And The Jews’ Just Due
- 15. Conclusions
- <strong>part Five: The Day Of The Lord</strong>
- 16. Introduction
- 17. Perusing The Parousia: The Pauline Evidence
- 18. Future Shock: Jesus On The Coming Son Of Man
- 19. Conclusions
- <strong>part Six: The Resurrection Of The Dead</strong>
- 20. Introduction
- 21. Body Language: Paul And The Resurrection
- 22. Before And Afterlife: Jesus And The Resurrection
- 23. Conclusions
- <strong>part Seven: Jesus, Paul And The End Of The World</strong>
- 24. The Eschatological Schema
- 25. The Future Of A Future In A Modern World
- Appendix: Old Testament Prophecy