Jesus, the Temple and the Coming Son of Man: A Commentary on Mark 13
:The Gospels contain many hard sayings of Jesus, but perhaps none have puzzled and intrigued readers as much as Jesus' discourse on the coming of the Son of Man in Mark 13. Is Jesus speaking entirely of an event in...
In Stock2 available
You May Also Like
:The Gospels contain many hard sayings of Jesus, but perhaps none have puzzled and intrigued readers as much as Jesus' discourse on the coming of the Son of Man in Mark 13. Is Jesus speaking entirely of an event in the near future, a coming destruction of the temple? Or is he referring to a distant, end-of-the-world event? Or might he even be speaking of both near and distant events? But in that case, which words apply to which event, and how can we be sure? Seasoned Gospels scholar Robert Stein follows up his major commentary on Mark with this even closer reading of Mark 13. In this macro-lens commentary he walks us step by step through the text and its questions, leading us to a compelling interpretive solution.
Robert H. Stein (PhD.,Princeton Theological Seminary) is senior professor of New Testament interpretation at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky. He is the author of An Introduction to the Parables of Jesus, The Method and Message of Jesus' Teachings, Difficult Passages in the New Testament, Luke (New American Commentary), A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible, Studying the Synoptic Gospels: Origin and Interpretation and The Synoptic Problem: An Introduction. His most recent publication is Mark (Baker Exegetical Commentary Series).
- 1 Determining Our Goal
- 2 Key Issues Involved In Interpreting Mark 13
- 3 Jesus’ Prediction Of The Destruction Of The Temple (and Jerusalem): Mark 13:1-4
- 4 The Coming Destruction Of The Temple And The Sign Preceding It: Mark 13:5-23
- 5 The Coming Of The Son Of Man: Mark 13:24-27
- 6 The Parable Of The Fig Tree And The Coming Destruction Of The Temple (and Jerusalem): Mark 13:28-31
- 7 The Parable Of The Watchman And The Exhortation To Be Alert For The Coming Of The Son Of Man: Mark 13:32-37
- 8 An Interpretative Translation Of Mark 13
- Index Of Subjects
- Index Of Scripture And Other Ancient Literature