Language, Theology and the Bible
James Barr is one of the leading international scholars of the Bible. Honoring his seventieth birthday, this is a collection of essays by twenty-four leading figures in biblical studies and theology in Britain, North America, and Europe, including such figures...
UnavailableOut of Print
You may also like
James Barr is one of the leading international scholars of the Bible. Honoring his seventieth birthday, this is a collection of essays by twenty-four leading figures in biblical studies and theology in Britain, North America, and Europe, including such figures as Maurice Wiles, Emanuel Tov, and Rudolf Smend. Barr's own work covers an enormous range, from highly detailed linguistic and textual study of the biblical languages and ancient versions, to broad issues in the interpretation of the Bible and its place in theology. The essays assembled here mirror the range of these interests, with essays on textual criticism, linguistics, biblical translation, theological themes in the Bible, and the history of biblical scholarship. Also included is an evaluation of Barr's work by the editors.
Samuel E. Balentine is Professor of Old Testament at Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education in Richmond, Virginia. He is the author of "The Torah's Vision of Worship".
John Barton is Oriel and Laing Professor of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture, University of Oxford. His previous publications include What is the Bible?, People of the Book, Love Unknown, The Oxford Bible Commentary and The Biblical World.
- James Barr
- 1. James Barr's Quest For Sound And Adequate Biblical Interpretaion
- 2. James Barr As Critic And Theologian 3. Translation And Emendation
- 4. Glosses, Interpolations, And Other Types Of Scribal Additions In The
- Text Of The Hebrew Bible. 5. Postbiblical Features Of Biblical Hebrew
- 6 . Die Ubersetzung Der Septuaginta Im Licht Ihr Vorgegebener Und Auf Ihr
- Grundender Tradition
- 7. Could Isaiah Understand The Ha'arets Newspaper?8. Story And History In
- The Old Testament
- 9. The Social Basis Of Morality And Religion In Ancient Israel
- 10. When Did Terah Die (gen. 11:32)? 11. Der Staatsgedanke Im Deuteronium
- 12. The Nehemiah Autobiographical Memoir
- 13. The Theological Significance Of Biblical Poetry
- 14. The Centre Of The Psalms
- 15. Isaiah 35 In Recent Research And Translation
- 16. The Future Of The 'servant Songs'
- 17. Arm Of The Lord: Biblical Myth, Rabbinic Midrash, And The Mystery Of
- 18. Ancient Judaism: Contours And Complexity
- 19. Luis De Leon And The Song Of Songs
- 20. Biblical Scholarship In The Seventeenth Century: A Study In Ecumenics
- 21. Karl Budde (1850-1935)
- 22. Historical Criticism In A 'history -centred Value System'
- 23. Welchen Sinn Hat Die Suche Nach Strukturen Hinter Texten? 24. Newton
- And The Bible