Letters of John (John Stott Bible Studies Series)
We live in times of insecurity. New nations are coming to birth. Social and political patterns are evolving. Violence, terrorism, and war threaten the very foundations of civilization. These external insecurities are reflected in the internal world of the mind...
You May Also Like
We live in times of insecurity. New nations are coming to birth. Social and political patterns are evolving. Violence, terrorism, and war threaten the very foundations of civilization. These external insecurities are reflected in the internal world of the mind and of the spirit. There is widespread distrust of Christian faith and a preference for agnosticism or free thought. Many church members are confused and uncertain. Against this background, to read the letters of John is to enter another world marked by assurance, knowledge, confidence, and boldness. The certainty of Christian people is twofold: objective (that the Christian religion is true) and subjective (that they have been born of God and possess eternal life). Both are expounded by John, who takes it for granted that this double assurance is right and healthy. Today we urgently need to hear and heed his teaching about the nature of these certainties and the grounds on which they are built. John Stott was one of the world's leading and most-loved Bible teachers and preachers. In this Bible study guide you can explore Scripture under his guidance, enhancing your own in-depth study with insights gained from his years of immersion in God's Word.
Dale Larsen is a writer living in Greenville, Illinois. He and his wife, Sandy, have written more than thirty books and Bible studies together including Images of God and Images of Christ.
Sandy Larsen is a writer living in Rochester, Minnesota. SheSandy Larsen is a writer living in Rochester, Minnesota. She and her husband, Dale, have written more than thirty books and her husband, Dale, have written more than thirty books and Bible studies together including Images of God and Imageand Bible studies together including Images of God and Images of Christ. s of Christ.
The late Rev Dr. John Stott is known worldwide as a Bible teacher, writer, pastor and mission-leader. During a ministry that extended to seven decades, he authored many books including the best-selling Basic Christianity, Why I Am a Christian and The Cross of Christ ; he was also the editor, (and author of several volumes) of the Bible Speaks Today. In more recent years he was Rector Emeritus of All Souls Church, Langham Place, London; President of the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity; and Founder-President of the Langham Partnership International. He was awarded the CBE in the Queens 2006 New Year Honours. Stott was honored by Time magazine in 2005 as one of the "100 Most Influential People in the World."
Koorong - Editorial Review.
- We Live In Times Of Insecurity. New Nations Are Coming To Birth. Social And Political Patterns Are Evolving. Violence, Terrorism, And War Threaten The Very Foundations Of Civilization. These External Insecurities Are Reflected In The Internal World Of The Mind And Of The Spirit. There Is Widespread Distrust Of Christian Faith And A Preference For Agnosticism Or Free Thought. Many Church Members Are Confused And Uncertain. Against This Background, To Read The Letters Of John Is To Enter Another World Marked By Assurance, Knowledge, Confidence, And Boldness. The Certainty Of Christian People Is Twofold: Objective (that The Christian Religion Is True) And Subjective (that They Have Been Born Of God And Possess Eternal Life). Both Are Expounded By John, Who Takes It For Granted That This Double Assurance Is Right And Healthy. Today We Urgently Need To Hear And Heed His Teaching About The Nature Of These Certainties And The Grounds On Which They Are Built. John Stott Was One Of The World's Leading And Most-loved Bible Teachers And Preachers. In This Bible Study Guide You Can Explore Scripture Under His Guidance, Enhancing Your Own In-depth Study With Insights Gained From His Years Of Immersion In God's Word.
- 1. We Proclaim To You: 1 John 1:1-4
- 2. Light And Darkness: 1 John 1:5–2:2
- 3. The Tests Of Obedience And Love: 1 John 2:3-17
- 4. The Test Of Belief: 1 John 2:18-27
- 5. Holy Living: 1 John 2:28–3:18
- 6. Assurance And Overcoming: 1 John 3:19–4:6
- 7. Love Comes From God: 1 John 4:7–5:5
- 8. We Can Know: 1 John 5:6-21
- 9. Walk In The Truth: 2 John
- 10. Welcome Strangers: 3 John
- Guidelines For Leaders