Light From the Christian East
The Word Guild 2008 Canadian Christian Writing Awards winner "Do they really pray to icons?" "Why do they use incense?" "What do they believe?" To many people, the Orthodox Christian tradition (or Eastern Orthodoxy) seems unfamiliar and mysterious....
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
The Word Guild 2008 Canadian Christian Writing Awards winner
"Do they really pray to icons?" "Why do they use incense?" "What do they believe?" To many people, the Orthodox Christian tradition (or Eastern Orthodoxy) seems unfamiliar and mysterious. Yet this tradition is arguably the most faithful representative of early Christianity in existence today and numbers roughly 250 million adherents worldwide. What's more, a steady stream of evangelical Christians has been entering the Orthodox Church in recent decades. Isn't it time we gained a deeper understanding of Orthodoxy? In Light from the Christian East, James Payton gives us just that. With a sympathetic eye and even hand, he ushers readers into the world of Orthodox Christianity--its history, theology and religious practices. In doing so, he clears away the confusion and misunderstandings that often prevent non-Orthodox Christians from fully appreciating the riches of this ancient tradition. This book is essential reading for anyone interested in Orthodox Christianity.
James R. Payton Jr. (Ph.D., University of Waterloo, Canada) is a professor of history at Redeemer University College, Ancaster, Ontario, Canada. He has studied, taught and been in dialogue with Eastern Orthodoxy for many years and is the author of a number of articles on Orthodoxy and Protestant-Orthodox relations. He is very involved in ministry to Eastern Europe, serving from 1998-2006 as executive secretary of Christians Associated for Relationships with Eastern Europe, and since 2006 as president.
He is the author of Light from the East, an evangelical critique of Eastern Orthodoxy and Getting the Reformation Wrong: Correcting Some Misunderstandings.
- <ul> <li>the Word Guild 2008 Canadian Christian Writing Awards Winner</li> </ul> "do They Really Pray To Icons?" "why Do They Use Incense?" "what Do They Believe?" To Many People, The Orthodox Christian Tradition (or Eastern Orthodoxy) Seems Unfamiliar And Mysterious. Yet This Tradition Is Arguably The Most Faithful Representative Of Early Christianity In Existence Today And Numbers Roughly 250 Million Adherents Worldwide. What's More, A Steady Stream Of Evangelical Christians Has Been Entering The Orthodox Church In Recent Decades. Isn't It Time We Gained A Deeper Understanding Of Orthodoxy? In <em>light From The Christian East,</em> James Payton Gives Us Just That. With A Sympathetic Eye And Even Hand, He Ushers Readers Into The World Of Orthodox Christianity--its History, Theology And Religious Practices. In Doing So, He Clears Away The Confusion And Misunderstandings That Often Prevent Non-orthodox Christians From Fully Appreciating The Riches Of This Ancient Tradition. This Book Is Essential Reading For Anyone Interested In Orthodox Christianity.
- 1. Historical Perspectives
- 2. Western Reactions
- 3. Orthodoxy's Approach To Doctrine
- 4. Talking About God
- 5. The Creator And The Creation
- 6. Humanity As Created And Fallen
- 7. The Accomplishment Of Salvation
- 8. The Application Of Salvation
- 9. What Is Grace?
- 10. Going To Church
- 11. Icons
- 12. Tradition And Scripture
- 13. Prayer
- For Further Reading
- Name Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index