Living in Bonus Time
Cancer confronts us with our mortality. But cancer survivors find ourselves with a second chance for life. We grapple with profound questions: Why am I still here? How did I survive when others didn't? Where is God in all this?...
You May Also Like
Cancer confronts us with our mortality. But cancer survivors find ourselves with a second chance for life. We grapple with profound questions: Why am I still here? How did I survive when others didn't? Where is God in all this? And how should I live differently now? Those who experience and survive cancer live in bonus time, a season of grace that can be both disorienting and wonderful. In this honest and hopeful account, two-time survivor Alec Hill helps readers recalibrate expectations, grapple with survivor's guilt, and steward the opportunities for new purpose and growth. As counterintuitive as it may seem, cancer can transform us emotionally and spiritually into better people. We are not the people we were before. Survivors and caregivers can discover how encountering death can bring us to a different kind of life.
Alec Hill is president emeritus of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA. He served for fourteen years as InterVarsity's president and previously was dean of the School of Business and Economics at Seattle Pacific University. He holds a law degree from the University of Washington and has written for the Huffington Post, Christianity Today, the Aspen Institute, and Patheos. He is the author of Just Business: Christian Ethics in the Marketplace. He lives in the Seattle area with his wife, Mary.
- Cancer Confronts Us With Our Mortality. But Cancer Survivors Find Ourselves With A Second Chance For Life. We Grapple With Profound Questions: Why Am I Still Here? How Did I Survive When Others Didn't? Where Is God In All This? And How Should I Live Differently Now? Those Who Experience And Survive Cancer Live In Bonus Time, A Season Of Grace That Can Be Both Disorienting And Wonderful. In This Honest And Hopeful Account, Two-time Survivor Alec Hill Helps Readers Recalibrate Expectations, Grapple With Survivor's Guilt, And Steward The Opportunities For New Purpose And Growth. As Counterintuitive As It May Seem, Cancer Can Transform Us Emotionally And Spiritually Into Better People. We Are Not The People We Were Before. Survivors And Caregivers Can Discover How Encountering Death Can Bring Us To A Different Kind Of Life.
- <strong>part I: Descending Into The Pit</strong>
- 1. My Story
- 2. God's Presence On Dark Days
- 3. Why Me?
- 4. Survivor's Guilt
- <strong>part Ii: Navigating New Realities</strong>
- 5. Illusion Of Control
- 6. Depending On Others
- 7. Identity: Who Am I Now?
- <strong>part Iii: Living In Bonus Time</strong>
- 8. Suvivor's Growth
- 9. Clarity Of Purpose
- 10. Redeeming Time
- 11. Wonder
- Recommended Books
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Scripture Index