Living the Christian Year
Infuse your days with meaning. You are part of a larger Story. And the One who began the Story is at work today, in your life, in the midst of your meetings and bills and family activities that make the...
Out of StockAvailable to Order
You May Also Like
Infuse your days with meaning. You are part of a larger Story. And the One who began the Story is at work today, in your life, in the midst of your meetings and bills and family activities that make the days rush by and blur together. In these pages Bobby Gross opens to you--and opens you to--the liturgical year, helping you inhabit God's Story every day.
Remembering God's work, Christ's death and resurrection, and the Spirit's coming will change you, drawing you into deeper intimacy with God and pointing your attention to the work of the Father, Son and Spirit right now, in and around you.
You'll be reminded daily that your life is bigger than just you, that you are part of God's huge plan that started before time and will continue into eternity.
Whether you're familiar or unfamiliar with following the liturgical year, this book makes it easy to do, offering here the significance and history of each season, ideas for living out God's Story in your own life, and devotions that follow the church calendar for each day of the year. "The power that overshadowed Mary and raised Jesus from the dead also guarantees the final redemption of all things in him; that same power is at work in us now," Gross writes. "Keeping liturgical time, making it sacred, opens us further to this power as, year after year, we rehearse the Story of God--remembering with gratitude, anticipating with hope--and over time live more deeply the Story of our lives."
Bobby Gross is director of graduate and faculty ministries for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF). Bobby serves on the national board of Christians in the Visual Arts (CIVA) and lives in Atlanta, Georgia. Previously, Bobby was a national field director for IVCF, served as an InterVarsity chaplain at the University of Florida, launched campus ministry in South Florida and was the regional director for New York/New Jersey. Bobby is the author ofLiving the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God.He has also contributed chapters to three other books, includingFaith on the Edge(InterVarsity Press) andSigns of Hope in the City(Judson).
- Foreword By Lauren Winner
- 1 Discovering Sacred Time
- The Cycle Of Light
- 2 Advent: Enlarged In The Waiting
- <em>devotions In Advent</em>
- 3 Christmas: Enriches In The Giving
- <em>devotions In Christmas</em>
- 4 Epiphany: Enlightened In The Telling
- <em>devotions In Epiphany</em>
- The Cycle Of Life
- 5 Lent: Humblen In The Turning
- <em>devotions In Lent</em>
- 6 The Paschal Triduum: Healed In The Dying
- <em>devotions In The Paschal Triduum</em>
- 7 Easter: Heartened In The Rising
- <em>devotions In Easter</em>
- Cycles Of Love
- 8 Ordinary Time: Empowered In The Pouring Out
- Devotions In Ordinary Time: <em>world And Church</em>
- Devotions In Ordinary Time: <em>neighbor And Self</em>
- Devotions In Ordinary Time: <em>work And Rest</em>
- Epilogue: Fill Circle Once Again
- Appendix: <em>dates For The Christian Year Through 2025</em>
- Additional Resources