:2010 Christianity Today Book Award winner!2010 Golden Canon Leadership Book Award winner!Think of the moment you last experienced God.Do you know him that closely in this moment?Truly experiencing the love of God gives us a taste of his goodness and...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
:2010 Christianity Today Book Award winner!2010 Golden Canon Leadership Book Award winner!Think of the moment you last experienced God.Do you know him that closely in this moment?Truly experiencing the love of God gives us a taste of his goodness and his love for us, but often those moments are fleeting. We get distracted by life. Our awareness and understanding fade while our longing to experience him that way again increases.In these pages you can begin to fill that longing by developing your capacity to receive and respond to God's love. Spiritual formation is the process through which one's inner self is opened to the work of the Holy Spirit, who forms us into the image of the Son. Here Richard Foster and Gayle Beebe, both experienced leaders in spiritual formation, introduce you to people from the past who have known God deeply. Each person helps you to grasp one of the seven primary paths to intimacy with God that have been developed throughout Christian history. Chapters are divided into sections, each segment surrounding a key figure and concluding with a reflection and prayer.This rich resource can guide you into the same deep intimacy with God, opening you to the Spirit's work of transformation. A Renovar Resource.
Richard J. Foster (D.Th.P., Fuller Theological Seminary) is founder of RENOVARE in Denver, Colorado. He is the author of many books, including Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth, which has sold over two million copies worldwide, Freedom of Simplicity; Streams of Living Water, and Prayer, which was Christianity Today's Book of the Year and the winner of the Gold Medallion Award from the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association, and is a general editor of The Renovare; Spiritual Formation Bible. His most recent books are Life with God; Longing for God with Gayle Beebe and Sanctuary of the SoulJourney into Meditative Prayer.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
Gayle d. Beebe is general editor of the Renovare spiritual formation bible
- :prefaceintroduction: Recovering The Seven Paths Of Christian Devotion
- 1. Path One: The Right Ordering Of Our Love For Godorigen Of Alexandria: The Quest For Perpetual Communion With Godaugustine Of Hippo: Loving God With Our Body, Mind And Heartbernard Of Clairvaux: The Desire For God And The Ascent Of Pure Loveblaise Pascal: The Right Ordering Of Body, Mind And Heart
- 2. Path Two: The Spiritual Life As Journeyevagrius Of Ponticus: From Deadly Thoughts To Godly Virtuesgeorge Herbert: Weaving Life Into A Meaningful Whole John Bunyan: The Pilgrim's Path To Godthomas Merton: Finding Our Home With God
- 3. Path Three: The Recovery Of Knowledge Of God Lost In The Fallthomas Aquinas: Learning To Love And Know God Fullymartin Luther: Growing In The Freedom Of God's Lovejohn Calvin: Knowing God And Knowing Ourselves
- 4. Path Four: Intimacy With Jesus Christfrancis Of Assisi: The World As Our Cloisterst. Bonaventure: The Fullness Of Life In Christthomas Kempis: Imitating Christignatius Of Loyola: Guided By The Mysteries Of Christ
- 5. Path Five: The Right Ordering Of Our Experiences Of Godjulian Of Norwich: Enfolded In The Goodness Of God George Fox: Learning To Follow The Light Of Christ Withinjohn Wesley: The Role Of Our Religious Experiences In Knowing Godfriedrich Schleiermacher: Making Sense Of Our Experiences Of God
- 6. Path Six: Action And Contemplationjohn Cassian: Balancing The Active And Contemplative Life Benedict Of Nursia: Learning To Live By A Rulegregory The Great: Living The Active Life Contemplatively
- 7. Path Seven: Divine Ascentpseudo-dionysius: Loving God Through The Threefold Way The Cloud Of Unknowing: The Sharp Darts Of Longing Loveteresa Of Avila: Entering Christ's Mansion John Of The Cross: Illuminating The Dark Night
- Conclusionappendix 1: Pre-christian Influences On Our Life With Godappendix 2: Christian Women And Spiritualityappendix 3: The Contribution Of The Eastern Orthodox Churchacknowledgmentsnotesindex