Luke (Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Series)
Brimming with lavish, full-color photos and graphics, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary walks you verse by verse through all the books of the New Testament. It's like slipping on a set of glasses that lets you read the Bible...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Brimming with lavish, full-color photos and graphics, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary walks you verse by verse through all the books of the New Testament. It's like slipping on a set of glasses that lets you read the Bible through the eyes of a first-century reader! Discoveries await you that will snap the world of the New Testament into gripping immediacy. Things that seem mystifying, puzzling, or obscure will take on tremendous meaning when you view them in their ancient context. You'll deepen your understanding of the teachings of Jesus. You'll discover the close, sometimes startling interplay between God's kingdom and the practical affairs of the church. Best of all, you'll gain a deepened awareness of the Bible's relevance for your life. Written in a clear, engaging style, this beautiful set provides a new and accessible approach that more technical expository and exegetical commentaries don't offer.
Mark L. Strauss (PhD., University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary in San Diego. He is the author of The Davidic Messiah in Luke-Acts; Distorting Scripture? The Challenge of Bible Translation and Gender Accuracy; Luke in the Illustrated Bible Background Commentary; The Essential Bible Companion; and Four Portraits, One Jesus: An Introduction to Jesus and the Gospels.
He has recently completed the The Gospel of Mark for Expositor's Bible Commentary and is writing The Gospel of Mark for the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary. His professional associations include the Evangelical Theological Society, the Institute for Biblical Research and the Society of Biblical Literature. He is a frequent preacher at San Diego area churches and has served in three interim pastorates.
Clinton E. Arnold ( Ph.D., University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament language and literature at Talbot School of Theology, is a noted authority on spiritual warfare.
He is the author of Power and Magic: The Concept of Power in Ephesians; Powers of Darkness: Principalities and Powers in Paul's Letters; The Colossian Syncretism: The Interface between Christianity and Folk Belief at Colossae; 3 Crucial Questions about Spiritual Warfare (Three Crucial Questions); The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Set --editor and contributor (Acts- Ephesians-Colossians), and he is revising the Word Biblical Commentary on Colossians and has also completed the much anticipated Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on Ephesians
Koorong - Editorial Review.
- Brimming With Lavish, Full-color Photos And Graphics, The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Walks You Verse By Verse Through All The Books Of The New Testament. It's Like Slipping On A Set Of Glasses That Lets You Read The Bible Through The Eyes Of A First-century Reader! Discoveries Await You That Will Snap The World Of The New Testament Into Gripping Immediacy. Things That Seem Mystifying, Puzzling, Or Obscure Will Take On Tremendous Meaning When You View Them In Their Ancient Context. You'll Deepen Your Understanding Of The Teachings Of Jesus. You'll Discover The Close, Sometimes Startling Interplay Between God's Kingdom And The Practical Affairs Of The Church. Best Of All, You'll Gain A Deepened Awareness Of The Bible's Relevance For Your Life. Written In A Clear, Engaging Style, This Beautiful Set Provides A New And Accessible Approach That More Technical Expository And Exegetical Commentaries Don't Offer.
- List Of Sidebars . . . . Ix
- List Of Charts Xi
- Index Of Photos And Maps Xii
- Abbreviations . . . . Xvi
- Matthew . . . . 2
- Michael J. Wilkins
- Mark . . . . 204
- David E. Garland
- Luke 318
- Mark Strauss
- Credits For Photos And Maps . . 516