Mending the Soul
Biblically grounded and psychologically informed, Mending the Soul is a first-of-its-kind, comprehensive approach to understanding and treating every form of abuse for: Pastoral and ministry staff Small group leaders and youth workers Educators and seminary students ...
Available Now.1 Available
You may also like
Biblically grounded and psychologically informed, Mending the Soul is a first-of-its-kind, comprehensive approach to understanding and treating every form of abuse for:
Pastoral and ministry staff
Small group leaders and youth workers
Educators and seminary students
Pastoral and clinical counsellors.
It's time for the church to recognize the epidemic scale of abuse. Abuse kills. In its different forms - physical, sexual, verbal, spiritual, or neglectful- - abuse deadens the emotions, slays self-worth, cripples the mind, even destroys the body. Its victims are legion. They live in your neighbourhood, play with your children, and attend your church. In the United States:
one in three women will be physically assaulted by an intimate partner.
around 1.5 million children are abused or neglected annually.
at least twenty-five percent of girls experience contact sexual abuse.
But there is hope. God delights in mending shattered souls. However, healing doesn't come by ignoring the problem of abuse, minimizing its complexities, or downplaying its devastating impact. Healing comes by fully understanding the nature and ramifications of abuse, and by following a biblical path of restoration that allows God's grace to touch the heart's deep wounds. Mending the Soulsounds the call and leads the charge. Thorough and accessible, here at last is a unique and powerful resource for understanding and healing victims of abuse.
Steven R. Tracy, Ph.D., is vice president of academic affairs and associate professor of theology and ethics at Phoenix Seminary in Scottsdale, Arizona. He specializes in biblical ethics, abuse and sexuality. He and his wife are the founders of Door of Hope, a non-profit ministry that provides training, curriculam, and education for abuse healing ministry. The author of various articles on abuse and sexuality, he has fifteen years of pastoral and counseling experience and has just completed Mending the Soul, and he is preparing a book on Marriage.
- Part 1: The Nature Of Abuse
- 1. A Wake-up Call Regarding The Extent And Power Of Abuse...11
- 2. Abuse As A Perversion Of The Image Of God...22
- 3. Profiles Of Abusers...38
- 4. Portrait Of An Abusive Family...54
- Part 2: The Effects Of Abuse
- 5. Shame...73
- 6. Powerlessness And Deadness...92
- 7. Isolation...109
- Part 3: The Healing Path
- 8. Facing The Brokenness...131
- 9. Rebuilding Intimacy With God...157
- 10. Forgiveness...180
- Epilogue: A Word From Mary...195
- Appendix 1: Child Protection Policy---first Church...198
- Appendix 2: Application For Children's/youth Work---first Church...204
- Appendix 3: Child Protection Oral Screening---first Church...210
- Appendix 4: Warning Signs Of Potential Abusers...213
- Appendix 5: Bible Passages That Address Abuse...217
- Scripture Index...259
- Subject Index...264