Message of Heaven and Hell: Grace and Destiny (Bible Speaks Today Themes Series)
In The Message of Heaven and Hell , Milne guides us from Genesis to Revelation, stopping to examine key texts that illumine the destiny of humanity, the nature of heaven and hell and the glory of life everlasting in the...
In Stock4 available
You May Also Like
In The Message of Heaven and Hell, Milne guides us from Genesis to Revelation, stopping to examine key texts that illumine the destiny of humanity, the nature of heaven and hell and the glory of life everlasting in the presence of God. Death is one of the certainties of life:
What is life? What is death?
But what happens beyond death?
Is there an afterlife?
What inexpressible wonders--or unspeakable horrors--will we encounter beyond the pale of this life?
The topic of life and judgment beyond death is one that has occupied the minds of Christians in former eras but today seems to be in partial eclipse. As Bruce Milne argues, we are poorer for it--without even recognizing our poverty. There is such a thing as being so heavenly minded that we are of no earthly good. But there is also such a thing as being so unheavenly minded that we lose sense of earthly good and the gravity of life in the present. This is far more dangerous.
Bruce Milne takes us on a journey through the biblical teaching about the awesome realities of heaven and hell - destinies central to our understanding of God and humanity. He begins with an examination of some key Old Testament texts, then moves on to the teaching of Jesus, and finally surveys other relevant New Testament passages.
Debate continues about this area of Christian belief, but the life to come is a biblical 'fact of life', and the eternal God assures us, repeatedly and clearly, that he will meet us all in eternity.
Table of Contents
A Note on Meanings
Part 1: The Dawning of Destiny: Heaven & Hell in the Old Testament
1. Meeting the Judge and the Defendant - Genesis 1:1-5, 26-27; 2:14
2. The Wages of Sin - Genesis 2:16-17; 3:1-24
3. The Path of Life - Psalm 16
4. Long May He Live! - Psalm 72
5. Either/Or - Daniel 7:9-14; 12:1-13
Part 2: Destiny Determined: Heaven & Hell in the Gospels
6. Your Kingdom Come! - Mark 1:15; Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43; 25:31-45
7. What About Heaven? - Mark 12:18-27
8. So What About Hell? - Mark 9:42-48
9. When Heaven Begins - Luke 23:32-43
10. Hell on Earth: The Death of Jesus - Matthew 27:45-50
11. Encountering Heaven: The Risen Jesus - John 20:1-31; 21:1-25
Part 3: Destiny Declared: Heaven & Hell in the Rest of the New Testament
12. An Unpopular Perspective - Acts 17:22-34
13. The Revealing of Wrath - Romans 1:18--2:11
14. The Privilege of Children - Romans 8:12-39
15. An Embodied Hope - 1 Corinthians 15:1-58
16. Ministering in Hope - 2 Corinthians 4:16--5:6
17. Suffering in Perspective - 1 Peter 1:3-9
18. Why Live Differently? - 2 Peter 3:1-14
19. Final Judgment - Revelation 20:1-15
20. The Colours of Heaven - Revelation 21:1--22:21
Bruce Milne (Ph.D., University of Edinburgh) was Pastor of First Baptist Church in Vancouver, Canada for many years. Today he travels the globe, preaching, teaching and encouraging pastoral leaders as Vice-President of the Baptist World Alliance. He has authored Know the Truth; Dynamic Diversity; The Message of Heaven & Hell ( Bible Speaks Today Themes) and The Gospel of John (Bible Speaks Today Series.)
Koorong -Editorial Review.