Ministering in Patronage Cultures
Patronage governs many relationships in Majority World cultures. But regrettably, Western theologians and missionaries rarely notice this prominent cultural reality. Patronage-a reciprocal relationship between social unequals-is a central part of global cultures and the biblical story of God's mission. Misunderstanding...
Available for immediate download.
You may also like
Patronage governs many relationships in Majority World cultures. But regrettably, Western theologians and missionaries rarely notice this prominent cultural reality. Patronage-a reciprocal relationship between social unequals-is a central part of global cultures and the biblical story of God's mission. Misunderstanding patronage creates problems not only for Westerners ministering in other cultures, but also for contemporary people reading the Bible. If we ignore the concepts of patronage in biblical cultures, we will misinterpret Yahweh's relationship with Israel and miss some of the meaning in Jesus' parables and Paul's letters. Understanding patronage will illuminate theological concepts such as faith, grace, and salvation. Jayson Georges, coauthor of Ministering in Honor-Shame Cultures, now brings his ministry experience and biblical insights to bear on the topic of patronage. With sections on cultural issues, biblical models, theological concepts, and missional implications, this resource will not only serve ministry practitioners but anyone who studies Scripture and worships God.
Jayson Georges (MDiv, Talbot) lived in Central Asia for nine years doing church planting and micro-enterprise development. He is the author of The 3D Gospel, founder/editor of HonorShame.com and creator of The Culture Test. He serves as missiologist-in-residence at an evangelical organization, developing tools and training for Christians working in honor-shame contexts.
- <strong>patronage Governs Many Relationships In Majority World Cultures. But Regrettably, Western Theologians And Missionaries Rarely Notice This Prominent Cultural Reality.</strong> Patronage-a Reciprocal Relationship Between Social Unequals-is A Central Part Of Global Cultures And The Biblical Story Of God's Mission. Misunderstanding Patronage Creates Problems Not Only For Westerners Ministering In Other Cultures, But Also For Contemporary People Reading The Bible. If We Ignore The Concepts Of Patronage In Biblical Cultures, We Will Misinterpret Yahweh's Relationship With Israel And Miss Some Of The Meaning In Jesus' Parables And Paul's Letters. Understanding Patronage Will Illuminate Theological Concepts Such As Faith, Grace, And Salvation. Jayson Georges, Coauthor Of <em>ministering In Honor-shame Cultures</em>, Now Brings His Ministry Experience And Biblical Insights To Bear On The Topic Of Patronage. With Sections On Cultural Issues, Biblical Models, Theological Concepts, And Missional Implications, This Resource Will Not Only Serve Ministry Practitioners But Anyone Who Studies Scripture And Worships God.
- Introduction: The Problems Of Patronage
- Part I: Cultural Issues
- Chapter 1: The Meaning Of Patronage
- Chapter 2: Expressions Of Patronage
- Chapter 3: Misperceptions Of Patronage
- Part Ii: Biblical Models
- Chapter 4: Yahweh And Israel
- Chapter 5: Jesus And The Kingdom
- Chapter 6: Paul And The Church
- Part Iii: Theological Truths
- Chapter 7: God As Patron
- Chapter 8: Sin As Ingratitude
- Chapter 9: Salvation As Patronage
- Part Iv: Missional Implications
- Chapter 10: Engaging Patronage
- Chapter 11: Transforming Relationships
- Chapter 12: The Christian Life
- Appendix 1: Further Resources
- Scripture Index