Modern Psychotherapies (2nd Edition)
The wide variety of psychotherapies that psychologists and students of psychology face can make for a confusing picture. The level of complexity is multiplied for Christians since they must ask how a particular psychotherapy fits (or doesn't fit) with a...
In Stock4 available
You May Also Like
The wide variety of psychotherapies that psychologists and students of psychology face can make for a confusing picture. The level of complexity is multiplied for Christians since they must ask how a particular psychotherapy fits (or doesn't fit) with a Christian understanding of persons and their suffering. In this expanded and thoroughly updated edition, Stanton Jones and Richard Butman continue to offer a careful analysis and penetrating critiques of the myriad of psychotherapies now current in the field of psychology including:
Contemporary Psychodynamic Psychotherapies
Family Systems Theory and Therapy
Two valuable new chapters have been added: "Community Psychology and Preventative Intervention Strategies" and "Christian Psychotherapy and the Person of the Christian Psychotherapist." Opening and closing chapters discuss foundational concerns on the integration of psychology and theology and present the authors' call for a "responsible eclecticism." Modern Psychotherapies remains an indispensable resource.
Stanton L. Jones (Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Arizona State University) is provost and professor of psychology at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. During his tenure as chair of the psychology department (1984-1996), he led the development of Wheaton's Doctor of Psychology program in clinical psychology. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and served on the Council of Representatives, the central governing body of the APA, representing the Psychology of Religion division from 1999 to 2001.
In 1994 he was named a Research Fellow of the Evangelical Scholars Program of the Pew Foundation. He was a Visiting Scholar at the Divinity School of the University of Cambridge and a Visiting Fellow at Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, for the 1995-1996 academic year. Jones authored the lead article, "Religion and Psychology," for the Encyclopedia of Psychology, jointly published in 2000 by the American Psychological Association and Oxford University Press.
Jones has also written, with his wife, Brenna, a five-book series on sex education in the Christian family called God's Design for Sex. He is also the co-author of Modern Psychotherapies (with Richard E. Butman) and Homosexuality: The Use of Scientific Research in the Church's Moral Debate and Ex-gays? :A Longitudinal Study of Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation (with Mark A. Yarhouse) and editor of Psychology and Christianity: Five Views. He has published many other professional and popular articles and chapters.
Richard E. Butman (Ph.D., Fuller Graduate School of Psychology) is a licensed clinical psychologist and professor of psychology at Wheaton College. He also maintains a part-time private practice in Wheaton, Illinois. He has contributed articles to various reference works, including The Baker Encyclopedia of Psychology (Baker), Dictionary of Pastoral Care and Counseling (Abingdon) and Christian Counseling Ethics (IVP), and co-authored Modern Psychotherapies (with Stanton L.Jones). He has also published articles in many professional journals, including Journal of Psychology and Christianity, Christian Counseling Today, and Journal of Behavioral Counseling.
- 1. The Integration Of Psychology And Christianity
- Stanton L. Jones And Richard E. Butman
- 2. A Christian View Of Persons
- Stanton L. Jones, Laura Migulez And Richard E. Butman
- The Psychodynamic Psychologies
- 3. Classical Psychoanalysis
- Stanton L. Jones, Robert Watson And Richard E. Butman
- 4. Contemporary Psychodynamic Psychotherapies
- Michael W. Mangis, Stanton L. Jones And Richard E. Butman
- The Cognitive And Behavioral Psychologies
- 5. Behavior Therapy
- Stanton L. Jones, Kelly Flanagan And Richard E. Butman
- 6. Cognitive-behavior Therapy
- Mark R. Mcminn, Stanton L. Jones, Michael J. Vogel And Richard E. Butman
- The Humanistic And Experiential Psychologies
- 7. Person-centered Therapy
- Terri Watson, Stanton L. Jones And Richard E. Butman
- 8. Experiential Therapies
- Terri Watson, Tracey Lee, Stanton L. Jones And Richard E. Butman
- The Systemic Psychologies
- 9. Family Systems Theory And Therapy
- David Van Dyke, Stanton L. Jones And Richard E. Butman
- 10. Community Psychology And Preventative Intervention Strategies
- Sally Schwer Canning
- Toward Christian Psychologies
- 11. Responsible Eclecticism And The Challenges Of Contemporary Practice
- Richard E. Butman And Stanton L. Jones
- 12. Christian Psychotherapy And The Person Of The Christian Psychotherapist
- Richard E. Butman And Stanton L. Jones
- Author Index
- Subject Index