Mysticism After Modernity
'In an era where many decry the death of certainties in our postmodern situation, Cuppitt shows how the mystic teach us to embrace the freedom and likeness of that very situation. The book offers a refreshing freeing of vision to...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
'In an era where many decry the death of certainties in our postmodern situation, Cuppitt shows how the mystic teach us to embrace the freedom and likeness of that very situation. The book offers a refreshing freeing of vision to our age of doubt. It is a fine contribution.' Robert K. Forman, Hunter College"A lucid and stimulating argument for ways to understand mysticism in the postmodern world. Mysticism After Modernity should prove invaluable to those concerned about the relevance and ongoing survival of the mystical tradition." Carl McColman, Mystic-L"Postmodernists are likely to find this enjoyable reading....this is a challenging little book that deserves to be explored by students of mysticism and religious experience"George Adams, Susquehanna University"The central theme of this book is the claim that the writings of the classical mystics are misunderstood when they are treated (as they are even by Derrida) as qualified versions of an orthodox metaphysical theism."Maurice Wiles, Oxford
In "Mysticism After Modernity," Don Cupitt argues that the extensive modern literature about mysticism has rested upon a mistake - the belief that there can be meaningful experience prior to language.
The Revd Don Cupitt is a Life Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. His books include Taking Leave of God, The Sea of Faith and Solar Ethics were published by SCM Press and translated into many languages.
- Introduction: The Mysticism Of Secondariness. 1. The Modern Construction
- Of Mysticism And Religious Experience. 2. Theories Of Mysticism In
- Modernity. 3. Dogmatic Theology Is An Ideology Of Absolute Spiritual
- Power. 4. Mysticism Is A Kind Of Writing. 5. How Mystical Writing Produces
- Religious Happiness. 6. The Politics Of Mysticism. 7. Mystical Writing Was
- The Forerunner Of Deconstruction And Radical Theology. 8. Meltdown. 9.
- Happiness. 10. Eternity. Notes. Select Bibliography.