Old Testament Essentials
2014 Readers' Choice Award Winner"Christians love the Bible, but they often do not know what to do with the Old Testament," writes Westmont College professor Tremper Longman. Further, he points out that it includes many types of writing?history, prophecy, poetry,...
You May Also Like
2014 Readers' Choice Award Winner"Christians love the Bible, but they often do not know what to do with the Old Testament," writes Westmont College professor Tremper Longman. Further, he points out that it includes many types of writing?history, prophecy, poetry, wisdom and apocalyptic. In this helpful volume he offers different strategies for understanding each of these important types of writing. Jesus made a point to tell his disciples that the whole Old Testament anticipated his coming (see especially Luke 24:25-27, 44-45). And so each session includes a special feature called "Anticipating the New Testament." Through this you will begin to discover the links between the two testaments and gain a fuller sense of our unfolding salvation history.Following the format of the other volumes of the Essenitals series, originally designed by Greg Ogden, author of Discipleship Essentials, each session includes the following elements:
a memory verse
a Bible study
"Anticipating the New Testament"
a life application section
Designed to work well on your own, with a partner or triad, or in a small group, Old Testament Essentials offers a comprehensive overview that will enrich your knowledge and deepen your faith."Tremper Longman is for me?and countless others?a treasured 'go-to' resource to uncover the treasures of Old Testament wisdom. This survey will be of huge value to anyone who wants the big picture of the Great Story." ?John Ortberg, senior pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church and author of Who Is This Man?
Tremper Longman III (Ph.D., Yale University) is Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies at Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California. He is also Visiting Professor of Old Testament at Mars Hill Graduate School, Westminster Theological Seminary and adjunct at Fuller Theological Seminary.
He is the author of commentaries on The Book of Job and Proverbs (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom and Psalms); Exodus (The Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary) and Jeremiah, Lamentations (New International Biblical Commentary), Daniel (New Internatuional Version Application Commentary), Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs (New International Commentary on the Old Testament/ Cornerstone Commentary).
Longman is the author of How to Read Genesis; How to Read the Psalms; How to Read Proverbs; How to Read Exodus and Literary Approaches to Biblical Interpretation, and co-editor of A Complete Literary Guide to the Bible and co-author with Dan Allender of Bold Love, Cry of the Soul, Intimate Allies; The Intimate Mystery and The Intimate Marriage Bible Studies.
Koorong -Editorial Review.
- 2014 Readers' Choice Award Winner"christians Love The Bible, But They Often Do Not Know What To Do With The Old Testament," Writes Westmont College Professor Tremper Longman. Further, He Points Out That It Includes Many Types Of Writing?history, Prophecy, Poetry, Wisdom And Apocalyptic. In This Helpful Volume He Offers Different Strategies For Understanding Each Of These Important Types Of Writing. Jesus Made A Point To Tell His Disciples That The Whole Old Testament Anticipated His Coming (see Especially Luke 24:25-27, 44-45). And So Each Session Includes A Special Feature Called "anticipating The New Testament." Through This You Will Begin To Discover The Links Between The Two Testaments And Gain A Fuller Sense Of Our Unfolding Salvation History.following The Format Of The Other Volumes Of The Essenitals Series, Originally Designed By Greg Ogden, Author Of <em>discipleship Essentials</em>, Each Session Includes The Following Elements: <ul> <li>a Memory Verse</li> <li>a Bible Study</li> <li>a Reading</li> <li>"anticipating The New Testament"</li> <li>a Life Application Section</li> </ul> Designed To Work Well On Your Own, With A Partner Or Triad, Or In A Small Group, <em>old Testament Essentials</em> Offers A Comprehensive Overview That Will Enrich Your Knowledge And Deepen Your Faith."tremper Longman Is For Me?and Countless Others?a Treasured 'go-to' Resource To Uncover The Treasures Of Old Testament Wisdom. This Survey Will Be Of Huge Value To Anyone Who Wants The Big Picture Of The Great Story." ?john Ortberg, Senior Pastor Of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church And Author Of <em>who Is This Man?</em>
- 1 Creation: God Creates The Cosmos
- 2 Fall: Humanity Rebels Against The Creator
- 3 Abraham: The Father Of The Faith
- 4 Isaac And Jacob: The Promise Continues
- 5 Joseph: The Promise Survives
- 6 Exodus: God Saves His People From Bondage
- 7 Wilderness Wandering: God Refines His People
- 8 Law: God Makes His Will Known
- 9 Priests, Holy Place And Sacrifice: Coming Into The Presence Of The Lord
- 10 Conquest: God Gives His People The Land
- 11 Judges: Spiritual Confusion, Moral Depravity, Political Fragmentation
- 12 Saul, David And Solomon: The Rise Of Kingship
- 13 Psalms: Worshiping The Lord
- 14 Wisdom: Navigating The Turbulent Waters Of Life
- 15 Divided Monarchy: The Road To Judgment
- 16 Prophets: God’s Covenant Lawyers And Apocalyptic Visionaries
- 17 Exile And Return: Divine Hostility And Restoration