Parenting in the Pew (Revised and Updated) (3rd Edition)
"Daddy, I'd like you to meet my children." That's Robbie Castleman's attitude about taking her children to church. She believes that Sunday morning isn't a success if she has only managed to keep the kids quiet. And she knows there's...
Available Now.3 Available
You may also like
"Daddy, I'd like you to meet my children." That's Robbie Castleman's attitude about taking her children to church. She believes that Sunday morning isn't a success if she has only managed to keep the kids quiet. And she knows there's more to church for kids than trying out their new coloring books. Children are at church for the same reason as their parents: for the privilege of worshiping God. Worship, Castleman writes, is "the most important thing you can ever train your child to do." So with infectious passion, nitty-gritty advice and a touch of humor, she shows you how to help your children (from toddlers to teenagers) enter into worship. In this significantly revised and updated edition Castleman includes a new preface and two new appendices that provide new perspectives on children's sermon and intergenerational community. She also provides a study guide for personal reflection or group discussion. More than ever, Parenting in the Pew is essential reading for parents and worship leaders who want to help children make joyful noises unto the Lord.
Robbie F. Castleman (D.Min., University of Dubuque) is associate professor of biblical studies and theology at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. She previously served for several years as a staff member with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, specializing in ministry to graduate students at campuses in and around Tallahassee, Florida. She is the author of the Fisherman Bible Guides; Miracles, Elijah, David and King David (Shaw/Waterbrook) and the IVP Connect LifeGuide Bible Study Peter and The Story of Scripture: The Unfolding Drama of the Bible, and she is a contributor to the book For All the Saints (Knox/Westminster).
- Foreword By Ruth Bell Graham
- Preface To The 3rd Edition (2013)
- Preface To The Expanded Edition (2001)
- Thank You
- 1. Daddy, I'd Like You To Meet My Children
- 2. Worship B.c. And A.d.
- 3. Praise And Puppies
- 4. Sunday Morning Starts Saturday Night
- 5. Counting Bricks Or Encountering God
- 6. Make A Joyful Noise
- 7. Prayer, Confession And Canned Goods
- 8. Just How Long Was That Sermon?
- 9. Saving Up For Something Special
- 10. The Holy Hug
- Discussion Questions And Reflections
- Appendix A: Parenting In A Wiggly Pew, The Challenge Of An Overactive Child
- Appendix B: Children’s Worship For Seeker Churches
- Appendix C: Guidelines And Ideas For The "children's Sermon" In Worship
- Appendix D: Developing An Intergenerational Approach To Ministry