Perspectives on American Religion and Culture
This engaging collection reflects the social and intellectual experience of religion in the United States. Peter Williams has gathered the most exciting scholars working in the field today to contribute original essays on the depth and diversity of the American...
Order now to secure your copy when our stock arrives.0 Available. Expected to ship in 6 to 7 weeks from Australia.
You may also like
This engaging collection reflects the social and intellectual experience of religion in the United States. Peter Williams has gathered the most exciting scholars working in the field today to contribute original essays on the depth and diversity of the American religious experience. Essays cover such topics as African American and Native American religious experiences, the rules of gender and family in religious communities, diversity and pluralism, regional differences, the relationship between religion and economics, and popular and material culture.
This is a collection of original essays on a wide variety of topics on religion in the United States, covering both historical and contemporary times, by the most exciting scholars working in the field today.
Peter Williams is Distinguished Professor of Religion and American Studies and Director of the American Studies program at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.
- Part I. Diversity And Pluralism: 1. Historicizing Religion In The American
- West: Laurie Maffly-kipp (university Of North Carolina). 2. Religious
- Innovation At The Edges: Stephen J. Stein (indiana University). 3.
- Diversity And The Pluralist Ideal: William R. Hutchison (harvard
- University). 4. Pluralism And American Religious Life In The Later 20th
- Century: Charles H. Lippy (university Of Tennessee). Part Ii: Religious
- Roots Of American Culture: 5. Anglicanism In Colonial Viriginia: David L.
- Holmes (college Of William And Mary). 6. The Puritan Legacy In American
- Religion And Culture: Amanda Porterfield (university Of Wyoming). 7.
- Religion And The Culture Of The Market In Early New England: Mark Valeri
- (union Theological Seminary, Virginia). Part Iii: Religious Cultures In
- Transition: 8. Early American Methodism: Russell Richey (duke University).
- 9. Synagogues And The "spiritual Depression" In The 1930s: Beth Wenger
- (university Of Pennsylvania). 10. Shifting Ground And The Third
- Transformation Of Mormonism: Philip Barlow (hanover College). 11. American
- Catholics In The 20th Century: Mary Jo Weaver (indiana University). Part
- Iv: Popular And Material Culture: 12. Architecture And Urban Revivalism In
- The 19th Century: Jeanne H. Kilde (macalester College). 13. Post-modern
- Sites Of Catholic Sacred Materiality: Leonard Norman Primiano (cabrini
- College). 14. Food And Eating In American Religious Cultures: Daniel Sack
- (material History Of American Religion Project). 15. Protestant
- Christianity And The Great American Diet Obsession: R. Marie Griffith
- (princeton University). 16. The Bible And Serpent-handling: Bill Leonard
- (wake Forest University). Part V: Race And Ethnicity: 17. Race And
- Religion In 19th-century America: Joan Bryant (brandeis University). 18.
- The Rise Of African-american Evangelicalism In American Culture: Albert G.
- Miller (oberlin College). 19. Religion And Culture Change In Native North
- America: Michael Mcnally (eastern Michigan University). Part Vi: Gender
- And Family: 20. Gender And The Boundaries Of American Judaism: Karla
- Goldman (hebrew Union College). 21. Women And Protestantism In
- 19th-century America: Carolyn Haynes (miami University). 22. Religious
- Individualism In 19th-century American Families: Anne C. Rose (penn State
- University). Part Vii: Intellectual And Literary Culture: 23. Jonathan
- Edwards On The Relation Between Hypocrisy And The Religious Life: Ava
- Chamberlain (wright State University). 24. The Connecticut Culture Of
- Revivalism: Mary Kupiec Cayton (miami University). 25. Trust And
- Confidence American Religious History: Leigh Eric Schmidt (princeton
- University). 26. The Religion Of Humanity In Victorian America: Lawrence
- W. Snyder, Jr. (western Kentucky University). 27. American Catholic
- Literary Culture: Paula M. Kane (university Of Pittsburgh).